Sediment in well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchydrosucks

Reaction score
I live in a house built in 1989, with well done at that time. I am going to get the Poly-B piping changed, due to age of it. My concern if I do some major work here, should I install a sediment filter at this time?

I have a Brim Iron filter installed (since 2017) to improve the water quality, and I am more than happy with it. My concern is when I am away for a couple weeks, I will bypass the iron filter, and run the water into a tub, as I know I have a lot of debris in it. It not only shows up in the tub, but it is enough to block off the washing machine filter.
I have received some advice that a sediment pre-filter should have been installed before the Brim filter. But I have received some advice from the nearest Plumbing supply company, that I do not need a pre-filter, and just to use the Brim filter for that sediment. Photos included of Brim, tank, and sediment in water, and washing machine filter.

What would you suggest in this matter?

Thanks beforehand.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211225_072853.jpg
    IMG_20211225_072853.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220101_064552.jpg
    IMG_20220101_064552.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Something like a spin down or twist to clean screen type filter would catch the big stuff and take a lot of load off the main filters. However, you should always try to solve the problem of sediment coming in from the well first. Most wells have never been fully developed and therefore make sediment for the life of the well. Pumping the well hard and wasting a lot of water doing it will pull out what sediment comes lose, wedge what doesn't come lose in the cracks and fissures, and make a media type filter out of the well itself. Pumping the well for hours or days if needed can many times clean up most if not all of the sediment.

Another way to stop sediment coming from the well is to stop the pump from cycling on and off. That pressure tank that looks so large only holds about 5 gallons of water, the rest is air. That means the pump is cycling on and off for every 5 gallons used. Cycling the pump on and off also surges the well up and down. The water level in the well surging up and down will stir up sediment.

By pumping the well out good and adding a Cycle Stop Valve before that pressure tank you may not even need filtering anymore.

CSV1A 20 gal tank cross.jpg

Back