Secret to stopping running toilets?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekforlife

Reaction score
We put men on the moon 4 years ago. I don't understand why it's so hard to create toilets that don't run. I tweak the floater, put quarters in the stopper, etc. etc. to try and get the toilet to reliably stop running 100% of the time. All it takes is that one time, when a toilet keeps running for days. Wasted water. Big water bills.

Surely. Someone has solved this. Help? What's the ultimate solution to running toilets?

Thanks!

Is the flapper seating properly? Check to make sure the both surfaces are clean.

We put men on the moon when? Is it 1973 again and nobody told me?

You haven't given us any info on your toilet, but I can tell it is either cheap or old since it has a "floater". Step one would be to replace that with a newer style fill valve, such as the fluidmaster 400a. Not only are the old float balls rather unreliable, but the float arms can become warped over time. Replacing this will also fix the issue if it is related to a faulty ballcock assembly.

Step two would be to stop putting money into the toilet, literally. Quarters are for buying things, not putting in toilets. If the flapper isn't seating properly it should be inspected for damage or warping. if it is faulty, replace it. If not then inspect the flush valve for damage and replace if necessary.

If your toilet is still running after that, break its legs.

Back