Sealing PVC coupling from inside drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkohl

Reaction score
I am installing a new shower without access from below the floor. I had my shower pan set and glued to the drain line when I had a problem and had teo remove it.

I cut the drain line loose with an inside pipe cutter and got a pretty clean cut and then installed a PVC coupling to reattach the pan to the drain line. The coupling is on the vertical stand about 2 inches below the shower drain/strainers.

Because I was working thro ugh a 4 inch hole in the floor I want to be siure this coupling is sealed very well so I don't find a leak later. Does anyone any means to seal the coupling joint a bit more from i snide the drain? Would wiping some pipe cement around the inside of the joint add to the seal? Or maybe some silicone caulking? Or am I worrying unjustly?

I should add that I think I got a fairly clean cut and seal against the coupling but I never get the couplings completely as snug as I would like.

Thoughts appreciated,

David

Can you see if you have glue oozing from the entire inside of the coupling? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, since it is not under pressure. Glue will not hold because it is made to seal PVC to PVC, but silicone may work for awhile, but I don't think it would be necessary.

Ah, very good insight. I just looked and in fact there is glue oozing inside so I feel much more confident about the seal.

Ooze is good in this case!

Latest posts

Back