S-trap vs AAV?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanne

Reaction score
My state formerly banned the use of AAVs but this year the state plumbing code was repealed and 2012 IPC is now in effect.

I believe that means AAVs are allowed again.

If so, I'm wondering which is the lesser of the two evils: AAVs or S-traps.

I ask because every single sink in my house currently has S-traps (and the shower/tubs have no vents). Not sure if the tubs can be corrected, but would it be better to slap some AAVs under the sinks instead of having S-traps? Or should I just keep S-traps for now?

Would it possibly improve the drainage if we put in AAVs?

What do you guys think?

I hate the smell of **** in my house, it smells like.......****

Yup. Just had to replace an AAV in a good customer's house last week. Every time he opened up the cabinet under the kitchen sink, it smelled like .....yeah, what you said.

Last month, customer didn't want to make a hole in his roof to run a proper vent when he remodeled his upstairs bath/bar sink. Then every time he flushed the toilet it sucked the trap on his bar sink. Imagine that......

Does the toilet's proximity to the AAVs matter?

I don't want to make things worse, but I have nothing but S-traps and completely unvented tubs.

I'm hoping to have it as a temporary solution and then later on open up some walls and try to get things done right. Just not sure how easy it would be to add vents. Plumber tried to add some, but did it on the side of the house after S-traps were already in.

For what it's worth, if you are installing an AAV, I have yet to see one from Oatey fail, and they are pretty much the only approved one sold here.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to loo for the Oatey ones.

Latest posts

Back