RV black water overflow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wp630

Reaction score
I live in an RV full-time. My husband was flushing out the water lines in our RV because smelly bacteria accumulates in our dormant hot water tank. In the process, our toilet overflowed and soaked the carpet around both bathroom doors. He thought that mopping up the water was all that was necessary and I'm freaking out because I don't think it's sanitary.

I finally convinced him to use some cleaning product, but he had already stepped in it and walked all over the RV (carpet, lino, etc). Does anyone know what measures I should take to restore a clean, healthy living environment? Am I freaking out over nothing?

I don't mean to sound gross but feces is on EVERYTHING.

I'm not saying that a good cleaning isn't necessary in your situation. Pooh is gross and could cause odors. In a small living space this could be unsavoury to say the least. A steam cleaning may be overboard but, some cleanser may be a wise choice.

And when I say feces is on everything I mean everything. Our world is covered in pooh. Way more than you might expect. For instance, if you flush the toilet with the lid up (or in a public restroom where there is no lid) microscopic pooh particles are turned airborne and spread throughout the space. There's a Mythbusters episode about this.

I think you are fine but for peace of mind I would have the carpet cleaned and mop real good in the rest of the place. I myself had a wonderful experience in my travel trailer with the black tank plugging at the bottom and filled completely so when I cut the abs pipe to clean it out it flooded the whloe trailer. The most horrific smell and the rest of the day cleaning was not fun. I used simple green and mopped it real good a few times but I was lucky and my carpet is removable so I pulled it out and took it to the do it yourself carwash and pressure washed it.

may i recommend an air purifier? a company called ecoquest sells a super unit called freshair. it kills mold,bacteria,and viruses on surfaces in up to a 3000 square foot space. good luck.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Back