Rusting flex line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tec

Reaction score
I replaced a kitchen sink shut off valve and flex line about two months ago. I just noticed that the flex line is covered in a light coating of rust. It doesn't appear to be leaking. Is this to be expected from a new metal clad flex line?

DSCN3098.jpg

There is moisture some where or you had moisture for a small leak that sealed it self.

Can't find anything leaking. The original valve leaked for awhile which prompted the new valve and line, but everything seems dry. What's strange is that there is another flex line at the bottom of the cabinet that feeds the dishwasher and it's not rusting and it's been there for years. ????

tec said:
Can't find anything leaking. The original valve leaked for awhile which prompted the new valve and line, but everything seems dry. What's strange is that there is another flex line at the bottom of the cabinet that feeds the dishwasher and it's not rusting and it's been there for years. ????

Thats because that's not a TRUE stainless flex, if it were stainless it wouldn't have rusted. I'd take that junk off and buy a stainless flex

I bought the flex line at one of the big box stores so it probably came from china. Would be a guess as to what it's made of. Don't know if this would contribute to the rusting problem but there was a container of The Works toilet bowl cleaner that spilled in the cabinet at about the same time. Main ingredient is hydrogen chloride. Could that have caused the rust?

You know time and time again we plumbers suggest to stay away from box stores. Mostly everything they sell is junk and it gets discontinued after six months or so. Save your self the pain and money and go to a reputable plumbing supply shop. there is a reason why real plumbers do not shop at home depot, lowes,ace hardware,etc. the plumbing supply shops might be more expensive but the extra money for a part does not come close to what you will spend in flood repair, restoration, mold removal, etc. Not trying to beat you down just trying to give so honest advice. Change out the flex lines with real stainless steel as reed suggested. Save your self the pain.

Back