Rusted out Ball Valve Handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtlyoung

Reaction score
I have an irrigation leak in one of the verticle lines and needed to shut off the the water at the backflow preventer. While at the box, I noticed that the shutoff handles on the ball valves were rusted off. I was able get the water closed off but now I need to replace the handles. As you can see in the picture, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at here. Anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do next? Also, a link to the proper replacement handle needed would be great as well. Looked on Amazon and Home Depot but there were sever different sizes and styles.
😐

View attachment image_16876289.JPGimage_16845825.JPG

look like you might have a backflow device and it could be factory ball valve. so...check the device mfr's name.
otherwise, some of us old guys have a box filled with a variety of handles, but first you have to get the nut removed to get access to the stem.
those handles are just mild steel.

look like you might have a backflow device and it could be factory ball valve. so...check the device mfr's name.
otherwise, some of us old guys have a box filled with a variety of handles, but first you have to get the nut removed to get access to the stem.
Thank you for your resonse!

So, on the end of the stem there is a bolt? I'll take a steel brush to clean it up and maybe it will become visable.

I took another look at the stem and I don’t see the bolt at all. Here’s a better picture after I brushed it with a steel brush. Thoughts?

IMG_7915.jpeg

The round end with 2 flat spots is the stem, or bolt, it has threads on it. The first black lump is the nut that holds the handle on, take a channel lock plier and screw that off, you may need to hold the remains of the handle to prevent the stem from turning. Google standard ball valve and you will see what I am describing to you or go to a store that sells them.

That black lump looks like the remnants of the old handle

I think you're correct, the nut is probably gone, I can see one thread on the stem. The next piece next to the body of the valve is probably the packing gland.

I think you're correct, the nut is probably gone, I can see one thread on the stem. The next piece next to the body of the valve is probably the packing gland.
You think this is salvageable? Hoping it can be repaired. If so, how should I attack it?

Correct

You could just use an open ended adjustable (Crecent) wrench to turn it on or off, using the flats on the stem, because I'm not sure where you could buy a new handle, I have never needed one. Maybe Grainger? The nuts are usually fine threads, but it could be metric.

Latest posts

Back