Rust on ring at sink drain...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbMark

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just got a call from a distressed mom. :)
I'm wondering if you folks can help?

In an effort to remove a couple of spots on the all-in-one piece counter/sink that had water marks from a dripping tap, my mom tried using Javex or something like that.
It resulted in some rust spots on the metal ring around the sink drain.

Is there any easy/quick way to remedy this short of buying new parts?
She wants to avoid calling in a plumber for something like this.

TIA

I don’t know that cleaner but I assuming all in one sink means cultured marble? Sink is molded into top? Rust penetrates deep in this material. You can try removing drain piece and allowing a rag soaked with vinegar to sit on stain. That’s the harshness chemical I would use. If that doesn’t work then the local culture marble guy can come buff it out. Last one I used cost the customer like $85. Better than a new top. But I had the pop up removed and put new in $145. So they didn’t come out too expensive. But before you just pay the guys. Look to see a new top. Small ones are only like $125.

Sorry James I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post.
The drip stains are not the problem now.

The problem now is the rust on the ring around the drain.
Is there something to take out the rust or cover it?
Or does the drain piece have to be replaced?

A new tailpiece and pop-up costs about $25. If you are going to replace it, also get a small tub of plumbers putty. Whole job takes less than an hour, even for a novice.

A new tailpiece and pop-up costs about $25. If you are going to replace it, also get a small tub of plumbers putty. Whole job takes less than an hour, even for a novice.

Thanks for the tip jeff I appreciate it!

Close the drain a pour a two liter of Coke in the sink. Let this set over night. Should pull the rust right out.

Back