Round end of PVC to join into 5 gallon bucket

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithyinCA

Reaction score
Hello,

I really can't figure out how to properly do this so I needed some guidance. I need to be able to take pieces of 3" PVC that's cut to a 45 degree angle and adhear it onto a food grade 5 gallon bucket. The problem is that it's on the side and since the bucket is round - I need to somehow match the curvature up with the PVC pieces.

I've tried taping 200 grit sand paper to a bucket and then running a piece of PVC back and forth until it matched but I burned up the paper and very little was done to the PVC.

I can't (As far as I know) use a fastener from the other side because I need to be able to put a 3" Net Cup inside that small 45 degree piece of PVC and have it sit flush.

I don't know if this makes sense. I'm trying to explain it properly but I don't have the background to give any better information.

This is for a vertical tower of multiple food grade 5 gallon buckets stacked and plants grown out sideways for an aeroponic project my son wants to embark on.

Thank you all in advance,

Keith

You can get saddle wyes that will band to the bucket or glue to it. Or even buy a PVC wye and modify it to glue to the bucket but that will take some work. How were you planning on doing the connection?

Chris,

Thank you for the response. I was going to use aquarium sealer to attach the PVC. I saw a great video where someone did the same thing but with a vinyl fence post. Problem is that the fence post costs $ whereas the food grade buckets I get for free. The fence post was flat on all 4 sides and the bucket is curved.

I think the saddle wyes would work; however, the price is more than I can spend seeing as we have 10 per bucket, 3 buckets stacked into a set and 4 sets. That would be 120 saddle wyes. :(

I do appreciate your help. Thank you

What about using a hole saw and drilling a hole in the bucket and cutting the pipe straight? then one piece of pipe can be cut down for all your sections?

Chris,

That's what I had been trying and I think a little flash went off inside my head a second ago.

The PVC I am going to use is 3" diameter inside and I had been using a 3" hole saw wanting to then round the end of the PVC so it would be flush with the bucket. Instead I think I'm just going to get a slightly bigger hole saw and make sure that I can adhere it just slightly inside the bucket.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Thank you for the help,

Keith

Chris,

That's what I had been trying and I think a little flash went off inside my head a second ago.

The PVC I am going to use is 3" diameter inside and I had been using a 3" hole saw wanting to then round the end of the PVC so it would be flush with the bucket. Instead I think I'm just going to get a slightly bigger hole saw and make sure that I can adhere it just slightly inside the bucket.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Thank you for the help,

Keith
You can still use the 3 inch hole saw. Just work it around the hole until the hole becomes big enough so you can slide the pipe in.

I used that move to make a hole big enough for pipe to slide into a feeder pipe.

Hi Keith,

Did you ever make this tower? I'd like to do the exact same thing. Much cheaper than the $500 Tower Garden.

--Bruce

I would drill a hole slightly bigger than 3 inch. Take a grinder and lightly grind the edge of the pipe at an angle like sharpening a knife. Stick it in hole and glue around it. This technic works when installing green bell sewer pipe.

Latest posts

Back