Rough in plumbing for bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be a defective toilet for sure. I’d still run an auger through it first.

My son purchased a fixer upper, no one is living in the house. At first we thought the toilet was getting siphoned after flushing. If it were I'd think it would drain faster or siphon as soon as we flush. This drains very slow (hours to empty).
We can pull the toilet and put it on horses as you suggested. Thanks
As this is a new installation, pulling the toilet will be pretty easy, and you can also check to see if there is anything that would wick the water out of the toilet like Twowaxhack said, instead of using a closet auger that could push a wicking item down the drain and keep this mystery a mystery.

So we are worried it is something with the plumbing causing a siphon, that would be a lot of work to pull the sheetrock back down to get to plumbing. Hopefully there is something causing wicking, worse case have to replace the toilet.

For wicking to occur, there would have to be a cloth or paper or something that absorbs water, and it would be touching the water on the downstream side of the toilet's water trap. As the toilet flushes fine, and as the water level gets pretty low, I would expect any wicking material would have to be glued to the toilet and likely to be visible by looking into the bowl.

I cannot see any way on a vented system with no other fixtures being used that would or could slowly pull the water out of the toilet. Actually, even if a system is not properly vented, once the toilet bowl is full, and as long as no other fixtures are used, I don't see a way that water can be slowly pulled from a toilet.

The "siphon effect" is when flows from other sources going into the common sewer "sucks" the water out of a P-trap, or toilet.

My guess is a hole or crack in the internals of the toilet. Pulling it, setting it on sawhorses, filling it with water and watch for drips and the water level dropping will confirm or remove that as a possibility.

It’s either wicking or a toilet defect.

If the drain pipe was clogged the toilet would back up or wouldn’t flush properly with a properly primed trap.

Having a low water level in the bowl can cause poor flush.

It’s probably a toilet defect if it flushes properly one time after another and no one’s been flushing baby wipes, dental floss, tampons or their side chicks thong.

Update- It was the toilet. New toilet isn't draining. I put the old toilet on horses and it drips 1 drop every 10-15 seconds.
I thought I would post this here for others to read and learn from. Twowaxhack and MicEd69, Thank you both for the support. I would of never thought it would of been a bad new toilet.

Latest posts

Back