Roots came back after replacing entire sewer line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate_F

Reaction score
In 2009 I had my clay 4-foot-sectioned sewer line (30 feet or so) replaced due to root intrusion at every 4-foor intersection. Last month, the shower downstairs backed up and we found a big root at the city line blocking 75% of the sewer line. The outfit here in Idaho that performed the replacement wants to charge me $1,200 to dig the hole and repair mains intersection. They are also telling me that a 1-year warranty for work like this is 'generous'.

Questions:
-How would you go about resolving this problem?

-I paid $4,500 for the trenchless replacement; what would you expect the warranty length should be?

-The plumber who scoped the line said it looked like 5 years of growth. If true, that means this repair lasted only 2 years before water started leaking from at the main line. The original plumber said there's no way to stop water leaks when mixing different piper material; I.E. trenchless plastic to clay (he said clay was what the city main uses). Does all of that sound legitimate?

For the length of the replacement, it seems to me like I was overcharged given the apparent ease of the job and the short warranty period.

Find someone that's honest that will clean the line with proper set of blades, and just maintain it you won't be able to do anything about the roots coming from the city sewer so if you pay $1200. To dig up it might come back from the city if that's what the plumber that camera the line is saying

Back