Rinnai RH180 Code 63

Discussion in 'Water Heaters and Softeners' started by sashki2, Nov 25, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Nov 25, 2019 #1

sashki2

sashki2

sashki2

I can’t get rid of code 63 on my hybrid Rinnai heater. The code keeps coming back intermittently. The manual says to (1) clean water filter, (2) check the water flaw and/or (3) clean the heat exchanger. I’ve cleaned the water filter twice - and the second time the filter was clean so it was not the filter. I don’t know for sure what heat exchanger is but I assumed after some research they mean flushing it with vinegar. Am I correct? Either way, I did that twice for around an hour each. I don’t know how to check the water flow but I think you’ve got to press some button combination for the water flow to display. However, let’s say the water flow is low, what would I do next? Also, why would water flow become low all of a sudden? Is it possible the flow sensor is bad?
    I’m assuming, this is what’s happening: when a shower is extra long, you use the water in the tank first. Since the tank is only about 20 gallons, at the end the heater switches to tankless. This is when it goes to the code 63. So the issue is somewhere in the tankless part of the heater.
    Any advise is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Nov 25, 2019 #2

breplum

breplum

breplum

Professional Professional

Not enough info about your piping array. Usually (before Navien's mini tank and due to poor temperature control, or if using recirculation) we would do hybrid tank add ons. Now we never do with better equipment, including newer Rinnai.
    In normal tank w/Rinnai, the tankless "pre heats" the flow into the WH tank. Therefore, as soon as hot water is called for, the Rinnai kicks on.
    Call Rinnai

3. Nov 30, 2019 #3

sashki2

sashki2

sashki2

Well, Rinnai didn't say anything meaningful and tried to send me to a certified plumber . So I gave up and called whoever installed them. So the guy called Rinnai from me and they mentioned a little detail missing from the manual. Before starting the system flushing, you'd have to get the heater going by running the water. This will open some valve. Then you'd unplug the unit hoping the valve is still open and only then drain the tank and start flushing. Supposedly, with the valve closed, the flushing would not clean what it needs to clean. The guy was nice enough not to charge me when he understood I could do the flushing myself. Apparently his company charges over $450 for flushing the system - outrageous in my opinion since a monkey could do it - assuming the manual is correct. So I've just finished another flushing lasting about 2 hours. We'll see if the code comes back.
    I wish I went with a straight forward tank heater - simple, less things can go wrong, almost no maintenance.

4. Nov 30, 2019 #4

voletl

voletl

voletl

Don't say that a monkey can do it because you did try to flush it the first time and failed

correct?

5. Nov 30, 2019 #5

sashki2

sashki2

sashki2

read the full sentence