Richmond tankless "whoosh" on ignition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pascoea

Reaction score
Good morning all!

Amateur plumber here (Ok, just a homeowner that likes to think he's handy) with a question regarding a tankless water heater.

Unit in question is a Richmond RMTGH95DVLN-2, 199k BTU Natural Gas. Installed just over a year ago by
me. It replaced a tank.

First, the problem. I noticed that when the unit kicks on there is a noticeable "whoosh" sound when it ignites. (Think of the sound a gas grill makes when it lights) And the front cover pushes out a noticeable amount. It's not a "holy crap, this thing sounds like it's going to explode" kind of sound, more of just a change in how it sounded after it was first installed. I have not noticed any performance degradation.

Some details on the install:
I also had to install new direct-vent intake/exhaust, as the tank used a flue. I used 3" Schedule 40 PVC, with a 4" condensate trap on the intake, sloped back towards the unit, 1/4" per foot. Runs are approximately 15' each, 3 90's in each, terminated on a flush mount exhaust/vent termination.

I did originally goof up and installed the trap on the exhaust side, ran it for a couple of months before I realized my screw-up and fixed it. While I was fixing the trap, I apparently wasn't as careful with cleaning out the pipes after doing my cuts and wasn't paying as close attention to my slopes.

When I opened the unit to investigate the whoosh I noticed some PVC flakes at the bottom of the enclosure. And while troubleshooting, I was checking for obstructions in the exhaust I got a small amount of water out that had collected in a low spot. (There are two 90's in as a horizontal offset, the offset ended up sloped down slightly away from the unit, functioning as a trap.)

There is nothing to indicate water intrusion into the enclosure, so I think I dodged a bullet on having the condensate trap on the wrong side. The only thing I noticed in the enclosure was some PVC flakes and a bit of cobweb.

Finally, the question(s):
1) Is "whoosh" normal? Or something I need to be concerned about?
2) Assuming it's not normal, I'm guessing I should be starting with disassembling and cleaning the manifold/burner assembly? (My assumption is that there is some cobweb/pvc flakes in there preventing a clean ignition)

Back