Reverse osmosis problem solving advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseme5

Reaction score
I have a watts premeire 5 stage ro system. It has been working for years but I am trying to solve a problem that is difficult to troubleshoot. The ro system always operated like this.

We on on a well. Water pressure is around 50-60 psi. Raising the pressure might help however the ro system should work fine at this pressure.

The faucet water pressure of the ro is only around 15 psi. We have an instant hot water heater for tea and food prep. The pressure from that instant hot waster heater is even less than 15 psi. Really not much flow.

I installed a permeate pump for the ro. It increase the effeciency, but not the pressure so much.

When the ro storage tank is empty, the pressure is 7 psi. When the tank is full it is only 15 psi. That is where the problem is. It should be a lot higher than that. With a high pressure ASO valve it should operate at 90% of incoming line pressure. That means the ro tank should be at least 35psi.

The membrane rejection rate is currently at 90%.

There is never a problem despensing water. There is just a problem with faucet pressure. A very odd issue.

Last edited:
Wow....This morning high pressure was coming from the faucet. Do not really know what was the culpret. Last night I checked everything. However I did do one thing that might of done something.

I remover the storage tank, emptied the water from the tank. Than I used a compreesor to remove the remaining water from the tank. I pumped 35 psi into the tank to remove any excess water. Then I removed the air and put 7 psi in.

That was the last procedure I did to the system.

The filters were changed last week.

Last edited:
My problem-get only a low level of water from RO faucet-lasts about 20 seconds and then quits? have replaced the tank, the faucet, automatic feed water shut off valve assembly, and filters-got same problem???Well press good worked great fr a long time? water press in house is great???

Did more research on line found my new tank was pressurized to 45 lbs so reduced to 7 and will see what happens-need all new stuff anyway.

Last edited:
Well that didn't work-all parts new-everything tank press 8 lbs, turn water to unit on and water is flowing to the backflush line into sink drain line???????tank will not fill??????gets about 1/3 cup of water and then stops????help!

Latest posts

Back