Request for Workmanship review

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben F

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had some work done on a schedule 40 PVC line used for hot water in my residence. I see a lot of blue pipe cement outside the pipe. I think I will call the plumber back but wanted to see if I'm mistaken first.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8318.jpeg
    IMG_8318.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
We don't drink it if that's any help?
The current International Plumbing Code does not allow PVC for any water distribution piping, nor does the current California Plumbing Code.

IPC
1694780953220.png

California Plumbing Code
1694781024872.png

PVC pipes are not recommended for hot water applications. PVC is a thermoplastic material that begins to degrade and break down when heated up. The maximum operating temperature of Schedule 40 PVC is 140 degrees Fahrenheit, which is around the same temperature that hot water gets to in many homes. Any temperature above this will cause the PVC pipes to break down, compromising the integrity of the pipe and leading to leaks and bursting. Therefore, it is recommended that PVC pipe and fittings be used only for applications where the water temperature does not exceed 140F.

If you need to use a material other than copper or steel for hot water lines, consider using CPVC (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride) pipes instead. CPVC material goes through an extra chlorination process that gives the plastic slightly different qualities, one of which is a higher maximum operating temperature. CPVC (schedule 80) pipe is rated for use up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, making it ideal for use on hot water lines in homes and businesses.

Typically PVC isn’t allowed for potable inside the building footprint. Only allowed outside. Many jurisdictions accept it.

Pvc is allowed for hot water in some applications but the temp and pressure must be kept to within the specs.

It’s a messy job but if it’s fitted properly it’ll be fine.

Example :
Contra Costa County, California
https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/44636/RESIDENTIAL-WATER--SEWER-PIPES

Last edited:
If people are going to copy other websites it’s required that you post the source or it’s called copyright infringement.
Oops!

I did change a few words, but you are totally correct. I was late for a breakfast appointment and didn't have time to just take the information out of the article and post it in my own words.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I sure hope they don't fine me. 🤣

Typically PVC isn’t allowed for potable inside the building footprint. Only allowed outside. Many jurisdictions accept it.

Pvc is allowed for hot water in some applications but the temp and pressure must be kept to within the specs.

It’s a messy job but if it’s fitted properly it’ll be fine.

Example :
Contra Costa County, California
https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/44636/RESIDENTIAL-WATER--SEWER-PIPES
Oops on you too. Contra Costa County, California does NOT allow PVC for within or underneath a building in writing. They do allow PVC for building supply outside the building as does IPC and the California Plumbing Code.

I suppose one might get a particular inspector to OK it as covered under the "other approved material" clause, but that would poor judgement on his part. And living in California for several years and having several industrial projects there, I think getting a government inspector to OK something outside the written code would be quite a stretch.

Oops on you too. Contra Costa County, California does NOT allow PVC for within or underneath a building in writing. They do allow PVC for building supply outside the building as does IPC and the California Plumbing Code.

I suppose one might get a particular inspector to OK it as covered under the "other approved material" clause, but that would poor judgement on his part. And living in California for several years and having several industrial projects there, I think getting a government inspector to OK something outside the written code would be quite a stretch.

Not oops on me. I never said it was accepted inside the building footprint. You misunderstood.

The thread is about an outside water pipe. Water distribution should’ve never been mentioned as this thread is not dealing with water distribution, the pipe in question is outside.

The California Plumbing Code 604.1 has an exception marked X-1 in the chart. You didn’t post what exception x1 is and that’s outside mains and other piping outside the building footprint.

You simply confused water distribution and outside mains or failed to read the exception.

Last edited:
I don’t believe the pipe in question is under his building footprint.

He does say “ in my residence “

It appears to be outside. The original poster could clarify but ultimately the question is the messy glue job acceptable ?

Yes it is.

Is pvc typically the proper choice for hot water ? No it’s not

Are joints on pvc allowed under the foundation ? No

Is pvc water pipe allowed inside the foundation ? No

Is pvc allowed for hot water inside a residence ? No

All pretty much common sense as it’s not accepted practice and would be very unusual.

You are correct, I could have misunderstood the original poster. He said, "I recently had some work done on a schedule 40 PVC line used for hot water in my residence." I assumed the hot water piping was indeed in the footprint of the building. But I suppose the water heater could be located in a remote location and it is transitioned to CPVC before it enters the building.

(Twowaxhack = "this thread is not dealing with water distribution".) Really??? Doesn't hot water distribution fall under "distribution? LOL.

(Twowaxhack = "The California Plumbing Code 604.1 has an exception marked X-1 in the chart.") That is under the Building Supply column, and as there is a "-" in the Distribution column. As such, the footnote has nothing to do with this thread since this thread is about hot water piping. But the footnote says:

1694832703320.png

(Twowaxhack = "ultimately the question is the messy glue job acceptable.") Yes, and you were the second responder with, "I’m more concerned with you using pvc for hot water. Typically not a good idea." So, all my posts on this thread were supporting your original comment. I WAS AGREEING WITH YOUR COMMENT!

Existing structures and some repair work are not bound by present code.

There’s no relevance, codes change on a regular basis.

I repair things on a regular basis that do not meet todays codes.

But whatever, tear the house down and start over. With some houses that’s what you’d have to do to meet code.

Sometimes people mistake a cold water line for a hot water line because during the repair hot water can siphon out of the cold side of the water heater and drain at the repair site.

This maybe in the tent city on Sunset Blvd ?🤣

Existing structures and some repair work are not bound by present code.
No, they are not.

You indicated that you more "more concerned with you using pvc for hot water" in your initial response.

It was apparent that Ben F thought the concern of using PVC on hot water was because of possible leaching of chemicals from the PVC into the water at higher temperatures, as his response to your comment was, "We don't drink it if that's any help".

I responded to Ben F to clarify why PVC isn't appropriate for use on hot water lines.

I've been AGREEING with you all along, yet you continue to try to attack my support of you. LOL

No, they are not.

Sure they are. No permit is required for that repair. Call and ask.

I’m kinda busy out here installing pipe today. Doing plumbing stuff.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday 🙂

Edit :

Also in California you can build a tent city on the sidewalk. You can literally take a dump on the sidewalk and not even get a ticket 🤣

Last edited:
I just called a local inspector and he said if it’s outside the foundation walls that he would be ok with anything that the manufacturer will allow even if it’s not recommenced on existing work.

That’s good enough for me. 👍👌🙂😎🌈

Back