Replacment for FLAIR No. 53 steam straight air vent (sizing uncertain)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orogenic

Reaction score
Hi all, new poster here.

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor of a 3 floor *maybe* 1930s building in Queens NY. I have a steam pipe that terminates near the ceiling of my bathroom and has a straight air vent at the top. When the system is going full blast there's a constant stream of hot steam coming out the vent making a lot of noise, making the whole bathroom steamy (luckily I can open a window), water collecting on the ceiling... so I figured I'd try to do something about it.

As I understand, in theory, radiator vents should close completely when the system is hot and up to normal pressure, but in practice leaks from these kinds of vents are pretty common especially for lower quality or old parts. I think there could be some pressure difference between the radiator's vent and this pipe's vent, but I wouldn't expect the difference to be so large as to account for the fact that my radiator's vent can almost completely seal, whereas this pipe's vent seems to not stop any steam at all. I suspect my vent is pretty old. It has markings reading FLAIR No. 53. I tried to find some information about this part from Google. All I found was a PDF through Wayback Machine because flairproducts.net (I believe this was the manufacturer's website) doesn't work anymore.
markings1.jpgmarkings2.jpg
spec1.jpgspec2.jpg

There is only one No. 53 model number listed, for a 1/8". I was able to remove my vent and take some measurements and what I found caused me some uncertainty.
measure1.jpgmeasure2.jpg

Hopefully you can see from my free-hand phone camera measurements, the thread-to-thread this is *almost* 3/8", and interior diameter is *not quite* 1/4". I think this looks more like a 1/4" than a 1/8". While I'm not familiar with tolerances for these measurements, this seems too far off to be a 1/8".

I was hoping to replace this straight air vent with a Hoffman vent as I have read those are considered high quality, and the price suggests so as well! ($60 for a 1/4" straight air vent!)

If anyone has any thoughts about this part, I'd appreciate it. I'll try asking some local plumbing and hardware people as well.

Last edited:
I think the diagram probably over-represents the taper. If connector size typically refers to the interior diameter, not thread-to-thread, then this seems close enough to 1/4" that I'll risk ordering the Hoffman 1/4" vent just to see if it fits, maybe with some liberal teflon tape wrapping if it's slightly undersized.

Last edited:
Most vents are 1/8th inch,Teflon tape will not make up the difference you should be able to find those vents at home depot Lowe's or any plumbing supply house if you bring the vent pictured they will match it, I'd buy a couple just to have on hand one other tool you might consider is a tap+dye set sometimes the threads are in rough shape and yo have to clean them up this tool kit would help, I don't know how to post pictures so you will have to look it up

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back