Replacing Water Heater - adding Expansion Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riickk

Reaction score
Replacing 40gal water heater (Rheem).
New expansion tank goes on supply side, and should be after the shutoff valve.
(A) Space is tight, is there a UPC Code requirement on maximum or minimum distance from the water inlet pipe? (3/4" pipe).
(B) Mounting expansion tank, should air valve face UP, or DOWN? I've read that facing up lengthens life of air bladder, but also manufacturers' want valve facing down. Couldn't find anything in Code about this.
(C) Supporting Tank: Metal or Plastic strapping ?

You can place the expansion tank anywhere in the cold system downstream of the check valve.

Any orientation of the x-tank

You can buy cheap x-tank wall mounting brackets with stainless straps.

Replacing 40gal water heater (Rheem).
New expansion tank goes on supply side, and should be after the shutoff valve.
(A) Space is tight, is there a UPC Code requirement on maximum or minimum distance from the water inlet pipe? (3/4" pipe).
(B) Mounting expansion tank, should air valve face UP, or DOWN? I've read that facing up lengthens life of air bladder, but also manufacturers' want valve facing down. Couldn't find anything in Code about this.
(C) Supporting Tank: Metal or Plastic strapping ?
Don't forget to match the air in the expansion tank to the water psi on the supply system.
I like to add a threaded ball valve so you can maintenance or remove the tank.

Don't forget to match the air in the expansion tank to the water psi on the supply system.
I like to add a threaded ball valve so you can maintenance or remove the tank.
Just ordered a pressure gauge. Since I've seen the water pressure vary from low in the morning low, to highest in middle of the night, best set the X-Tank to average or high ?

Back