Replacing Thermostatic Cartridge - Do I have to turn off water supply?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjfarmer

Reaction score
Maybe this is silly question, but that's consistent with my knowledge of plumbing.

I'm planning to replace the thermostatic cartridge on my newport brass shower. (“Cartidge ASM-Thermo In-Wall” Part No 1-102). A job I've had plumbers do pretty regularly, as there's lots of sediment in my water and the cartridge gums up pretty consistently.

In my config, the flow control is separate from the temp control (where the cartridge is).

I'd like to avoid removing that plate around the cartridge to access the valves for hot and cold. It's sealed on there pretty good, and it doesn't appear that it's been removed previously when plumbers have serviced it.

So my question - can I pull out the cartridge without cutting off the water? Is it enough to simply keep the volume/flow control in the off position?

IMG_3742.jpg

I would remove the plate, to see if there are integral stops that way your whole house or part of it is not off while you make the repair, and yes you must shut off the water

Back