Replacing Moen Shower Trim

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike81

Reaction score
I'm wanting to replace the shower trim. Right now, the shower has a Moen standard valve. I want to avoid replacing the valve. I know that will limit my options some. I can either replace it with a standard trim kit or a Moentrol trim kit if I get this adapter http://www.moen.com/replacement-parts/part?part=REPLACEMENT:145058

I've already removed the old trim. Now I'm left with what is in the pictures. The valve seems to be loose. I can pull on it and it will moved forward until the plastic piece hit the back of the shower wall. If I push on it it will go into the wall a couple of inches. Is this normal? What will keep it from moving when the new trim is installed?

When I use the adapter, will I have to cut a bigger hole in the shower? Right now there is a hole about 2.5". Do I remove the plastic piece before putting the adapter on?

Thank you for your time and help.

20130226_190923.jpg

20130226_191114.jpg

20130226_191158.jpg

What holds the valve in place is the plastic plate. When the trim is installed the screws for the trim pull the valve body and plastic plate up to the shower wall. Without the plastic plate there will be no way to secure the valve body. If you have access to the back of the shower you can secure the valve body to the framing.

John

What holds the valve in place is the plastic plate. When the trim is installed the screws for the trim pull the valve body and plastic plate up to the shower wall. Without the plastic plate there will be no way to secure the valve body. If you have access to the back of the shower you can secure the valve body to the framing.

John

Thank you. That is what I was thinking.

When I install the adapter, that allows Moentrol trim, does the plastic piece stay there and the adapter go in front of it? If so, I guess I have to make the hole bigger so the adapter can go in. That is unless the adapter is smaller than 2.5"

Mike, some types of trim that Moen makes has a recessed face plate. The trim you have is flat. The valve body may have to be further back from the shower wall.

John

Last edited:
Mike, some types of trim that Moen makes has a recessed face plate. The trim you have is flat. The valve body may have to be farther back from the shower wall.

John

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, but does this mean I may not be able to use Moentol trim? We are thinking of using the Kingsley or Monticello. Here are the spec sheets http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/product-specifications/t3112sp.pdf and http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/product-specifications/t3125sp.pdf

If those can't be used, then is there anything preventing me from using the faceplate from a standard valve and a handle from a Moentrol?

Last edited:
You can use it with the adapter plate. But you may have to get behind the shower and secure the valve body back further in the wall.

John

OK. I see.

The shower valve is in a wall that seperates the roman tub and shower. So if I have to, I can cut a hole in the wall and cover it. Though I now wish I had done that before I painted. I guess another option is to cut a bigger hole in the shower and if it can't be covered with the trim faceplate, then use one of the remodel covers.

Also, how do you recommend I secure the valve? Thanks again for the help.

If you have the room fasten a 2 x 4 between the studs and fasten the valve body or the water lines to it. Just my opinion but I think remodel covers look like a patch job.;)

John

If you have the room fasten a 2 x 4 between the studs and fasten the valve body or the water lines to it. Just my opinion but I think remodel covers look like a patch job.;)

John

I agree that it would look like patch job and if I can, I want to avoid it. If I have to cut a hole in the wall that separates the tub and shower, then I guess I can cover it with some type of access panel.

Just to update, I installed the Kingsley Shower Trim today. Everything worked out good. The adapter worked (even though some reviews claim it doesn't). I first put the adapter on the valve and then the white plastic spacer in front of that. That pushed the valve slightly farther back into the wall, but it worked out fine. When the water is off, the back of the handle is just slightly off the faceplate.

Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back