Replacing laundry tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Reaction score
I plan on replacing our laundry tub & pipes below the tub (it has a leak) and I'm wondering if the setup of the washing machine water discharge is correct.

Washing machine drains to the pipe beside the tub, the cloth is just to stop any splashing of water. Water drains to pipe above the P trap.

I suspect it is OK but thought I'd check with the experts first.

Thanks
Steve

IMG_3360.jpg

It may work but it's not up to any code. Each fixture needs to have it's own trap. The line for the washer should be 2" and it looks like all you have is 1-1/2". Plus I don't see any venting.

John

The stand pipe off the tailpiece is allowed in Michigan although rarely done. At least when it's done this way the tub will fill with water if the line starts backing up instead of quickly overflowing from the stand pipe.

I will probably just have the washer drain into the new tub.

The previous owners had relocated the tub so venting can't be seen, even by me. I'm presuming the venting is behind the drywall as it looks like they must have shifted all the plumbing about 15' from were I think it originally was. Carpeting laid but we can feel slight depression that might be the drain. Haven't experienced any problems with moisture or odors.

Current faucet has a trap primer should I be replacing with new faucet with trap primer since drain is hidden. There is a second drain but located by the furncace & hot water tank.

Thanks

Just out of curiousity Rob, does Michigan code allow a laundry to discharge into an 1 1/2" line?

If it's in a tub. I believe stand pipes are supposed to be 2 inch. In this case, the tub can act as a reservoir. I just worked on a house that had 1 1/2 galvanized coming out of the slab being used for a stand pipe. that's asking for a flood.

i have a question is it code in Michigan you have to have a faucet in a laundry tub?

Code only specifies laundry facilities required in one and two family dwellings. So I guess boiler drains for a washing machine and a faucetless tub could pass code.

The washing maching water hookups are closer to the floor. I am assuming since the drain pipe is 1 1/2 that is why they installed the tub so the wouldnt have to replace it all with 2 inch and no tub. But the inspector in roseville said in his report he wanted one. Its a 2 bedroom home on a crawl by the way

Tommac, you're in my area? What inspector in Roseville? The old guy Don Franklin can be pretty picky.

Yes I'm in your area and yes it was Don Franklin I really don't want to have a faucet on the tub. Renters will just throw food and what not in there and clog the drain

Back