Replacement Stem for Outside Spigot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTNL

Reaction score
I have an outdoor frost free spigot on my 35 year old house, which is now leaking water from the handle. It also does not completely tighten and shut off, there is always a very subtle drip.

I've taken the stem out, and it looks like there is a crack near the internal screw head. Taking the part around to a few local plumbing supply shops, they were not able to identify the vendor or a replacement. An additional curveball is that the previous (original) home owners finished part of the basement, and the part of the hydrant that would be visible inside the house is sadly blocked in a corner by 2x4 studs on two sides, and concrete walls on the other two sides. So replacing the hydrant is a lot more involved than I would prefer.

Ideally, I would like to track down a replacement stem (even if it involves buying the entire spigot), and using the existing spigot casing. If that's not possible, then obviously my next step is to hire a person to replace the hydrant and do a minor re-routing of copper pipe in the wall.

I am certainly not a plumber, so feel free to bounce any questions or clarifications you can think of. I've attached all of the pictures I have of the stem and the exterior portion of the spigot.

20160324_074249.jpg

20160324_074304.jpg

20160324_074309.jpg

20160324_074328.jpg

20160324_074334.jpg

20160325_131852.jpg

20160325_131856.jpg

20160325_131912.jpg

20160325_131945.jpg

20160325_131955.jpg

Not a common brand/model. You are going to have to remove and replace the entire faucet assembly. Seems you and a reciprocating saw are going to get well acquainted. Whoever finished the inside of the home and hid this faucet connection was either an idiot or did not care. Install an access panel next time.

Last edited:
Not a common brand/model.
So do you recognize the brand and/or model, or just that you've seen this spigot plenty of times before?

Whoever finished the inside of the home and hid this faucet connection was either an idiot or did not care. Install an access panel next time.
Agreed about the previous owner, and this is not the only facepalm DIY discovery that my wife and I have found in this home. If we do proceed with replacing the spigot and fixing the water pipe layout, an access panel will definitely be used.

Last edited:
It looks like a cheap Chinese-made frost-free faucet Home Depot used to sell. No replacement parts available for that one. Using the stem from a whole new faucet is an option IF you can find one. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back