Replaced Shower Valve Hot/Cold Controls now Different

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryB

Reaction score
Yes this was the first property I bought so it was only a matter of time...
I have a moen shower valve with a single knob. It was a seemingly simple apparatus. To operate the shower, one turned right to left, the farther left, the more hot it became, with a constant water pressure.

The problem was that the shower head would drip, even, it seemed, when the entire water main to the condo was shut off. this was also a problem in my other bathroom that had a tub/shower combo. I replaced the moen valve/cartridge in both shower unit and the drip stopped.

I put everything back together just as I had taken it apart. The shower/tub combo works great, but the single shower knob now works differently. Instead of operating from cold to hot in a right to left fashion, with the water shutting off when the know is turned all the way to the right, it now only stays off when the knob indicator is the the middle. Now if I turn it left the water gets incrementally more hot, and incrementally more cold to the right. The problem is that if I want to keep the hot water from being scalding, I have to turn it only slightly to the left, which does not produce enough water pressure.

Did I get the wrong valve cartridge? Did I reattach the knob incorrectly (it seemed like there was only one way to reattach it, which I did with the knod screwed back into the cartridge while turned all the way to the right, in the 'off' position)?

Any advice would be much appreciated for this newbie.

Thanks in advance,

Back