Replaced moentrol balancing spool, did I do it right?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekjl

Reaction score
First time poster here, so please forgive me if my questions are obvious.

I recently installed a Moentrol balancing spool (#1423) that was sent to me as a replacement for my shower faucet. I followed the instructions per Moen, however I just had a quick question. In the instructions, it states to clean the inside of the valve body after removing the old balancing spool. I was not able to do this because I still had a slight stream of water coming out of the valve. This was after shutting the water supply off and setting the valve in the on position. I had to quickly put the new spool in to keep the water from coming out of the valve. This did solve my problem of having no cold water, but does the inside of the valve body HAVE to be clean and/or dry before putting the new spool in? Like I said, it was kind of impossible to do with water trickling out of it. I just didn't want the inside of the wall to get wet. Thanks for any help.

P.S. I soaked the old spool in 50/50 mix of water and vinegar and freed up the piston after a few taps on the floor. Would soaking it for a few hours in vinegar hurt the rubber seals or brass finish? I was just wondering because I'm keeping it for a spare.

Although it is good to clean the valve body with a fitting brush if there is a lots of build-up inside the valve body before replacing parts, but if everthing is working and you do not have any leakage from the balancing spool port hole then you should be fine. Soaking the old balancing spool in vinegar & water will not hurt it, but if you want to keep it for a spare the o-rings & balancing spool spool need to be greased and kept in a plastic baggie. Keeping the old one may not be worth it.

Back