Replaced a faucet and the new one leaks too

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnomeAware

Reaction score
I have a vanity with two sinks. The faucets are tall to accommodate a vessel sink with one handle on the top to control water flow, temp, etc. The faucet on the right started to leak from the handle. I never liked the faucets so instead of trying to fix it, I just replaced both faucets. I absolutely loved the new ones but the one on the right started leaking. The manufacturer has a lifetime warranty so there was no problem getting a new one. After a few days, that one started leaking too. Am I just having really bad luck or is there something that might be cause the repeated failures. I've tried turning the water pressure way down but that didn't change anything.

The faucet model is no longer sold by Lowes and I can only find one still on the shelves near my home. So, I feel some urgency to replace it but don't want to if I'm going to run into the same problem again.

Any thoughts on things to check or should I just replace it? Or, call a professional out to fix the current faucet.

Thanks in advance.

Consider the leak may be originating some place else and pooling at that valve.

Any chance the vessel drain leaks and runs over to that spot ?

Consider the leak may be originating some place else and pooling at that valve.

Any chance the vessel drain leaks and runs over to that spot ?
It's definitely coming from just under the handle. I've dried everything off and, after a few minutes, see the water coming out on top of the faucet (under the handle) and then running down to the vanity top. When I replaced the originals, I removed both sinks just to clean things up and re-caulk the vanity. Everything is secure and no water leaking out from the vessel.

Remove the trim and operate that valve and see where it’s originating

post pics of what we’re talking about

It's hard to see but in the first picture, there's water pooled on the flat surface under the handle. In the second picture, with the handle removed, there's about 1/8 of an inch of water standing in that well.

Attachments

• faucet1.jpg
    faucet1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • faucet2.jpg
    faucet2.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 17
Get the instructions out and make sure the cartridge is tight.

Make sure you’re not experiencing thermal expansion from the water heater if you have a tank type. If you have a thermal expansion tank, turn the water off and relieve the pressure of the water system. Then check the air pressure in the tank. Make sure it’s at least equal to your static water pressure but not over 80 psi.

If the cartridge retainer nut is tight then you either have a defective cartridge or you have a defective faucet.

My brother and I have been doing a lot of plumbing on our old houses the last 5 or so years. (He has two older ones and I have one old one). What we have both noticed is that if we purchase faucets from the shelves at Lowes or Home Depot, the Moens in particular, they actually come with bad cartridges sometimes that leak. It happened to both of us. We grew up thinking Moen was good around here because of the old bullet proof Posi-temperature Moen shower valves that NEVER fail and are so well designed and simple. But the new Moen faucets are garbage I now I understand. I only learned this rather recently and definitely prefer Delta or even Grohe. Oh, another problem with buying faucets off the shelf at Lowes or Home Depot is that we found out bad people will buy a faucet, then steal the new cartidge out of it, and then return the faucet with their old cartridge in it. So maybe you bought faucets that these dirtbags returned with old cartridges and that is why they are leaking.

allen + roth Eliza Brushed Nickel 1-Handle Vessel WaterSense Bathroom Sink Faucet with Drain
Item #835543Model #71-BVF11-BN-AR

https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth...se-Bathroom-Sink-Faucet-with-Drain/5000762847
The manual doesn't have much other than the basic install instructions. Mount it, hook up the water, etc. The only thing that looks interesting is the exploded view of the parts. I see the "Handle", "Cap", "Bonnet Nut" and "Cartridge and Screw".

I took the Bonnet Nut off and then pulled out the Cartridge. The Cartridge looked fine to me but I'm not a plumber so I don't really know what to look for. I put everything back together making sure to get the Bonnet Nut tight. This morning there was more standing water on the vanity than before I took it apart. :-(

Attachments

• faucet3.jpg
    faucet3.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 5
  • faucet4.jpg
    faucet4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
My brother and I have been doing a lot of plumbing on our old houses the last 5 or so years. (He has two older ones and I have one old one). What we have both noticed is that if we purchase faucets from the shelves at Lowes or Home Depot, the Moens in particular, they actually come with bad cartridges sometimes that leak. It happened to both of us. We grew up thinking Moen was good around here because of the old bullet proof Posi-temperature Moen shower valves that NEVER fail and are so well designed and simple. But the new Moen faucets are garbage I now I understand. I only learned this rather recently and definitely prefer Delta or even Grohe. Oh, another problem with buying faucets off the shelf at Lowes or Home Depot is that we found out bad people will buy a faucet, then steal the new cartidge out of it, and then return the faucet with their old cartridge in it. So maybe you bought faucets that these dirtbags returned with old cartridges and that is why they are leaking.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to guess Allen & Roth faucets are not top of the line. ??? I'm unable to find any replacement parts for it so I guess I'll have to try to get another one from Lowes and hope for better luck.

Get a refund for those faucets and buy something of better quality.

Try Delta.

Plus 100% on Delta. Ever since Twowax taught me about Delta quality I noticed that my local beachside community uses delta faucets in our unairconditioned beach park bathrooms that are literally on the beach. I'm gonna put a Delta faucet in my utility sink to replace the junk that it came with and that will be a similar test as I'm a block from the ocean and NOTHING is spared from abuse here. That being said about Allen Roth... I do like Allen Roth medicine cabinets. I just installed an Allen Roth medicine cabinet and the quality was surprising to me. But faucets are a different animal I guess.

Plus 100% on Delta. Ever since Twowax taught me about Delta quality I noticed that my local beachside community uses delta faucets in our unairconditioned beach park bathrooms that are literally on the beach. I'm gonna put a Delta faucet in my utility sink to replace the junk that it came with and that will be a similar test as I'm a block from the ocean and NOTHING is spared from abuse here. That being said about Allen Roth... I do like Allen Roth medicine cabinets. I just installed an Allen Roth medicine cabinet and the quality was surprising to me. But faucets are a different animal I guess.

I spoke with Lowes about returning them but won't be able to since they're about 5 months old - past the 90 return period. No surprise. I'll try to get a refund from the manufacturer but don't have a lot of confidence that will work. I think I'll end up trying to get a replacement (again) and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and assistance.

Take photos of the sink with water that leaked from faucet.
Call the manufacturer and complain, ask how to fix the faucet.
They will either give you advice and send repair parts (free),
or, send you a new, and hopefully good, faucet.
Pictures? They may ask for proof that there's something wrong,
so you upload some pix to their customer service people.

Thanks RickFlorida and TwoWaxHack for recommending Delta. One more question on this thread. Surprisingly, I was able to get Lowes to issue a refund rather than another exchange. Other than Delta, are there any other brands I should consider just to widen my selection options? Thanks.

I've had mostly good luck with Kohler, 4 faucets in bathrooms. In the one bathroom, for that faucet style, the hot and cold valves got harder to turn over time. Kohler sent new improved valves, but....to reinstall them required removing the existing faucet out from the sink. The old valve was literally frozen in place and could not remove it in place.

Back