Replace water shutoff valve on unknown pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblc123

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a new homeowner, and first time DIY plumber.
The water supply shutoff valve going to the toilet is leaking around the part that you turn in order to shut the water on or off. I want to replace it .

The problem is that I can't get the shutoff valve to unscrew from the pipe it's connected to. The connecting pipe is not copper, I don't know what it is. I've attached pictures so maybe someone can tell me what kind of pipe that is.

I've tried PB blaster to get the shut off valve off but it doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me what kind of pipe this is connected to and what are my options for getting this shut off valve replaced? I'd prefer to not have to solder the pipe.

2014-03-30 20.10.46.jpg

2014-03-30 20.11.02.jpg

2014-03-30 20.11.07.jpg

That sure looks like a threaded connection. It should just unthread, what kind of wrenches have you been using?

That looks to be black iron pipe that it is attached to, not allowed by code where I am.

The pipe it's connected to is a 3/8" chrome plated brass nipple. Use two wrenches when trying to remove the valve. One to turn the valve the other to hold back on the nipple.

Reactions: SHR
The pipe it's connected to is a 3/8" chrome plated brass nipple. Use two wrenches when trying to remove the valve. One to turn the valve the other to hold back on the nipple.

That's what I've been trying to do, but I can't get it to break free. The bathroom was built about 20 years ago so I'm guessing it's just stuck.

The brass nipple is threaded into a copper pipe but as you can see, the copper pipe barely peaks out of the floor, so I can't cut the copper pipe and attach a new fitting. Is it possible to cut the brass pipe and somehow attach a new shut off valve to it?

OK, now I see the reflection on the nipple, the black floor tile made it look like black iron.

That is definitely a threaded connection. As John mentioned, one wrench to hold the vertical pipe and the other around the valve. Get tough and if that doesn't work, get a bigger wrench.

That is definitely a threaded connection. As John mentioned, one wrench to hold the vertical pipe and the other around the valve. Get tough and if that doesn't work, get a bigger wrench.

3/8" chrome plated nipple with straight shut-off valve. Since you are having problems getting it off, get your biggest, longest pipe wrench out and un-screw the whole nipple and valve assembly. With a big wrench it should come out of the threaded brass elbow below the floor fairly easily. Take the nipple and valve to your plumbing supply store and tell them you want an identical new nipple and a quarter turn valve to replace the old valve.

You could try turning water off to house. Bleed water from house through hose bib. Get a torch and heat the fitting a little to help valve expand on threads and loosen pipe dope then you should be able to break it free. And remember to make sure you are trying to turn it the right way. Righty tighty lefty lucy

If I understand your post, the leak is coming from around the stem that the handle is attached to.

If that's the case, turn off your water, unscrew the large nut that the stem goes through, remove the washer that is under that nut, go to your local hardware and get some stem packing, put several wraps around the stem, put the washer back in place and re-tighten the large nut. If you over-tighten that nut, you won't be able to turn the handle

Or just get a new dahl quarter turn valve. It will last longer no more headache. Does not make sense to put a band aid on a 30 dollar part. If it leaked once it will leak again

I replaced all my valves with quarter turn, American made valves, with metal stems, and really happy that I did. Well worth the extra few bucks.

Yes, my plan is to replace it with a quarter turn valve, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen since I cant get it off the nipple. Can't get the nipple to unscrew from the copper pipe that it's connected to either.

Looks like I'm going to have to call a plumber.

Back