Replace outside spigot?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBenton

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to remove/replace this? Thought it was a pex fitting because the valves on the toilets are pex, but looking at this, it looks like it may be screwed on over the siding?IMG_1912.JPG

Does the silcock have flat sides...that might indicate a place to tighten havd you tried repairing it under that big nut there should be a washer and screw.....the washer is probably worn out

I must ask why you want to replace it, in case you're replacing due to a leak or something that can be remedied without being removed.

Thanks, it had a backflow valve on it for about 15 years and when I took it off the threads on it crumbled. Now when I connect the hose to it it hard to screw it on and then it leaks like crazy when the water is on. If you look carefully at the pic you can see the bad threads at the end.

If its secured into the sidingtake out the screws or nails holding itagainst the siding pull it off if the siding a little and see if you can see what kind of joint it is.if your handy,,just cut it out and replce it

That vinyl siding stuff can or is typically placed on with silcock in place. So I suspect you can remove a portion of that plastic vinyl box with a little effort, if need be.

Looks like that fitting was pulled in from the basement side, so maybe you have some room to move that line in or out a bit.

In any case, the first thing you must determine is what type of connection(s) you'll dealing with. It may be possible to unscrew the valve. Can you see it from the inside?

Thanks guys....yes thats the thing, there are no screws or nails holding it on the sides. I tried to move the siding behind it and it does not budge but it has scrapes on it that look like it may have been screwed on. House is on a slab and was built in 2005, with pex on the toilets and under sink so I was thinking it would be the same for the outside. Thats what confuses me about this.

All the slabs i hve dealt with the spikot come from under thd kitchen sink,
1.are you handy enough to cut out and replace
2.if not with someon inside,holding back on the same pipe try to loosen it
3.1st turn of water feed to it and bleed off the pressure

Try a simple fix first.

Put a new brass anti-siphon adapter on there, with plenty of pipe dope and teflon tape.
Not a plastic garbage one.

Use the brass kind with a set screw.
Thread it on good and tight.

It might hold, and would basically give your old sillcock a nice fresh set of hose threads.

If you don’t have access from the inside to see the connection, it could be anything from just threaded joint to pex to you’re worst nightmare.
Any chance of contacting the previous owner?
Seeing the scrape marks would be a good clue that its threaded.

Thats what I am thinking as well Copymutt, already ordered the thread cleaner irhunter, I think I will try that prior to replacing everything. Thanks for the link!

Back