Replace main water line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuda

Reaction score
51 yr old house with original main line from meter. Typical cinder block house with a carport and utility room from that era. Hot water heater is in the utility room opposite the carport. Previous owners converted carport into a garage and extended the garage area, inadvertently covering the original house inlet with a concrete pad. (I'm assuming the water heater connections were added later as the pipes go through an insulated hole in the utility room then down into the ground) 1.) main water line has to be replaced. 2.) will be adding a whole house water filter in the utility room 3.) will be replacing all in house plumbing which is a combo of old lead and old copper
I will have to re-route the line because of a 50+ yr old oak tree in the back yard. The meter is about 40 feet from where I think the original house inlet is. I'd like to be able to run the line underground from the meter to the new cement pad, then, run that portion of the line over the top of the cement pad and insulate it, probably even box it in, attached to the house wall for a more finished look. Then, I'd like to create a new inlet by going through the cinder blocks into the area behind the kitchen wall. I'm fortunate that all of the inside plumbing is in one area behind that wall because the kitchen T-s off the two bathrooms. However, how would I hook up the water heater in the utility room if the main line is going into the kitchen? We do get the occassional freeze in central Florida, thus the need for the insulation for the above ground portion. Is this feasible? Any ideas are welcomed. This will be a diy job as funds are low given this economy.
Thanks in advance!!

Unfortunately, no. That is a more common way that people in FL have been re-routing their plumbing on these older homes but there is no attic above the carport or utility room and only about 6 feet of accessible crawl space on the house. I'm beginning to think I may have to bring the main line to the utility room, then dig up a small portion of the cement pad to run it to the house. Not exactly what I wanted to do but may have no choice.

Latest posts

Back