Replace cast iron T with?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmen

Reaction score
Hi - new here and redoing a basement bathroom. In trying to replace the trap, threads broke off inside the cast iron t inside the wall. I removed drywall and though I can't measure perfectly - I believe it's 1 1/2" (~ 1 3/4" od) galvanized drain - from my kitchen sink upstairs. My plan is to cut the pipe above and below the t and then replace using Fernco's and a new t. I'm just unsure what to replace with. Use the same stuff (galv and cast iron) or go to pvc?

Well, go figure. I already purchased the Fernco's! Found a bunch of images where people had used them so I thought them to be good. Not so? After actually figuring out what I had it's 1.5" galvanized - so I got 1.5" PVC to replace it with. Is there a good reason to go back to hardware store and find the shielded bands?

Well, go figure. I already purchased the Fernco's! Found a bunch of images where people had used them so I thought them to be good. Not so? After actually figuring out what I had it's 1.5" galvanized - so I got 1.5" PVC to replace it with. Is there a good reason to go back to hardware store and find the shielded bands?

I replaced a prone to clog 1.5" run of galvanized from my kitchen to the main stack years ago with PVC. I used Ferncos before I knew better. I put hangers on either side of the Ferncos and it's been OK. I wouldn't replace them now but if you can return the Ferncos and get the shielded you might wish to do so.
FWIW
YMMV

OK, thanks for the advice. Considering it seems to just be about flexibility I'm going to go with the Fernco's I already have. The replacement is straight vertical and there is no gap between the PVC replacement and the cast piece I cut out - they fit together pretty tight. So there really should be no pressure on the Fernco's.

Bad call. Do not ever use the rubber only Fernco fittings above ground. Unless you live in my area and are going to call me to repair YOUR repair when the fitting fails in the wall. I OFTEN get called to repair these type of misguided repairs. Easy good money for me, not so good for you...

Can you say why they OFTEN fail? The only reason I can think of is a drain snake, and even then the pvc and galv are pretty much touching inside the fernco, there's no real gap anywhere. Of course I have it all installed now, and it seems strong and good to go. However I have not patched the drywall yet so I still could put on the shielded ones.

a shielded band keeps the pipes lined up perfectly straight

where a fernco does not.

when the pipe moves because your house moves. yes it does, goes up and down sways side to side

the pipes become unaligned.

SO WHAT ? you ask.
when the pipe is out of alignment, it forms a small "shelf" that catches soap scum, hair, toothpaste,
**** like that. and it keeps catching it till you have a big ass hair ball that clogs the drain

journeymen and shr know wth they are talking about, listen to them.

flood.jpg

Latest posts

Back