Repairing Stolen Copper Pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf-prop

Reaction score
I bought a rehab property that had been vandalized - all copper pipes cut down at the slab. How do I determine which pipes are hot and which are cold?

Even if you did know which was hot or cold you have to cut the slab to make repairs. Depending on the layout and the type house you may be better off re-piping it. If your in a warm area piping over head may be a better option.

John

John -

I've been able to cut down into the slab enough to get fittings on all of the old copper pipes. Can I trickle the main supply line from the street and see which pipes are bringing in cold water?

Just go back to were the lines are for the water heater. By blowing through the hot water line you should be able to identify which ones are the hot water. If you turn the water on you will fill the lines making it harder to solder them.

John

If anyone that had any sense did it when your looking at the fixture the hot water will still be on the left

I've blown air through most of the pipes so far, and it's been hot on left, cold on right. I'm not finished yet though.

Never EVER assume that the guy before you did anything right. Determine which side is which BEFORE you replace the remaining piping. That also goes for anything you might repair in plumbing. The person before you may have used incorrect fittings, parts or even damaged something during his previous work. A good plumber starts from scratch to ensure he has done everything possible to avoid problems later.

Try explaining to the customer it's not your fault, but the guy before... Lol

In fact, any possible problems, potential problems you foresee or recommendations in any situation should be explained to the customer and needs to be documented to protect you. (the plumber)

PioneerPlumber said:
Never EVER assume that the guy before you did anything right. Determine which side is which BEFORE you replace the remaining piping. That also goes for anything you might repair in plumbing. The person before you may have used incorrect fittings, parts or even damaged something during his previous work. A good plumber starts from scratch to ensure he has done everything possible to avoid problems later.

Try explaining to the customer it's not your fault, but the guy before... Lol

In fact, any possible problems, potential problems you foresee or recommendations in any situation should be explained to the customer and needs to be documented to protect you. (the plumber)

Even if the pipes are manifolded on the wrong side simple crossing of the supplies under the cabinet and viola, not saying its right I'm just saying it can be fixed lol

And if the shower has a non-reversible cartridge? Hot water to a toilet, evaporative cooler or hose bib? :)

PioneerPlumber said:
And if the shower has a non-reversible cartridge? Hot water to a toilet, evaporative cooler or hose bib? :)

Then swap the manifold, u truly are a negative nancy. Don't scare this guy off...he said they were stolen from above the slab not completely gone all together. Man negative people kill me.

Maybe you misinterpreted my statement. I am simply stating the importance of being thorough to avoid a headache in the future.
Obviously, there is a fix to any situation should this guy make a mistake, but why create more work if it can be avoided by a few simple steps now?

PioneerPlumber - good points. I just finished identifying hot/cold pipes. It turned out to be hot on left, cold on right. I'm moving toward a leak test ASAP. Thanks to all for the advice...

Back