Repairing corrugated water pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izia

Reaction score
Some time ago I requested help with the repair of a corrugated water pipe for our waterfall but never received a reply from the Forum. Specifically, a 2" pipe that leads from a pump (submerged in the well of a "pondless waterfall")to the top of the waterfall was accidentally damaged by a pick ax and sprung a leak. The handyman who caused the problem cut out the leaky portion and attempted to repair it by inserting a piece of PVC pipe and tying it into the original pipe (see picture of waterfall, lower left corner and picture of repaired portion, both attached). Unfortunately, the leak continues underneath from the area of the newly repaired joint, probably because the inserted pipe was of approx. the same diameter as the original pipe and therefore didn't really fit, and because the corrugated aspect of the hose made a tight fit impossible). My question: is there some better way to fix this problem, and if I need to call a plumber, what precisely should I ask him to try? Or do I inevitably have to replace the entire hose with a non-corrugated pipe, disturbing some 12 feet of beautifully landscaped soil?!?!

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

Well I've never worked with this style of pipe myself. Unfortunately I think the only way to properly fix it would be to replace it all. He used a fernco which is for drainage not for pressure technically. You could try and get a 2" barbed coupling with 2 hose clamps. That may work but its hard say. I guess it's worth a shot besides replacing it all. Not 100% sure if they make them in 2" but its worth a shot. You could also get then in nylon if you want but brass is best.

image-2201915344.jpg

I wouls also check on Pool forums and Pool supply locations. Most hoses on pumps for pools our made from this corrugated type tubing. I am sure if there is something that can repair it, they would know about it. Just my thoughts...

True enough. It's kinda beyond a plumbers expertise, I mean unless you have experience in pools and pumps. Definitely agree with chuck.

Latest posts

Back