Removing Old Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popatplumber

Reaction score
I am trying to remove my old faucet in an attempt to install a new one. I am stuck at the step where I remove the old faucet as I cannot the lock nut off the old faucet. The faucet was installed by a plumber and is a water ridge faucet bought from Costco 2 years back.

Here is a picture of the nut.

June212012

https://picasaweb.google.com/popat2006/June212012?authkey=Gv1sRgCOyji6zIqJyakwE&feat=email

The screws in the picture are not really doing much and I have left them in to see if I can get some leverage. They are loose and I can remove them. I have tried WD40 and hammering the nut open with light taps but it will not budget.

My question to this forum is:
0) What is this nut holding the faucet called?
1) Will the Basin Wrench work on this nut? I don't see how it will grip this nut as it has a weird shape.
2) Are there any other tricks other than me cutting the faucet from the top of the counter that I should try.
3) My problem is that I have not really been able to get anything on this nut to try and loosen it.

Last edited:
A basin wrench will remove them. There made with the two screws so you only tighten the nuts hand tight then tighten the screws to pull the faucet down to the sink. Who ever installed the faucet didn't know that and used the nuts to pull the faucet down.

John

Thank you for your response. I want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

You are suggesting that I get a basin wrench to remove the nut in the picture. Are you saying that the basin wrench has 2 screws to hold the nut and remove it? Will it have enough to hold to this flat metal nut?

I was stating that 2 Philip head screws in the picture are loose and can be removed. I chose to keep them in place to have something to hit against to loosen the flat metal nut.

Sorry if I am confused and did not understand. Just tell me what I should do in steps to make it easy for me to understand.

Latest posts

Back