Removing lockshield extension tail

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phloaw

Reaction score
Hi, I have a standard radiator (1/2" female bsp) on which I'm installing a new lockshield/TRV kit. The lockshield is similar to this:
w-247960-2.jpg

What happens if I remove the nut and everything on its left in the pic, and screw the valve directly into the radiator (with PTFE)?
This would simplify my space arrangements a lot, but before actually trying I thought to ask if this makes sense at all.
TA!

That valve is sensing the air temp. The closer you put it to the radiator the more you'll have to offset the adjustment to make the room comfy. It might not adjust far enough on the temp scale to offset being that close. You could pipe it farther away or get a remote trv.

That valve is sensing the air temp. The closer you put it to the radiator the more you'll have to offset the adjustment to make the room comfy. It might not adjust far enough on the temp scale to offset being that close. You could pipe it farther away or get a remote trv.

I'm confused, now. I thought the lockshield had no sensor in it at all.

Well lockshield isn't something we have here. But any trv runs the same.

How do you think the thermostatic radiator vavle adjusts the temperature? Either a bellows or a bimetal strip adjusts the size of the opening that allows either hot water or steam past it.

These use the air temp to tell the valve to open or close.

Unless you have something in not aware of.

Well lockshield isn't something we have here. But any trv runs the same.
I clearly explained at the beginning that I was talking about the lockshield. Sensor is elsewhere, not relevant at all.

I don't think you explained that clearly. We don't have that brand here and they look the same with or without. Which is why I explained it. If it's a remote sensor then you can put it as close as you want.

You also never answered steam or hydronic.

I think it's the British aspect. If you look at my first post you'll see I mention the remote sensor. This might be what you mean by not having a sensor in it at all. If it's remote then yes pipe it as close as you want.

Looking at this more this I think is just a radiator valve not a trv. The red haring for me again.

Last edited:
I don't think you explained that clearly. We don't have that brand here and they look the same with or without. Which is why I explained it. If it's a remote sensor then you can put it as close as you want.

You also never answered steam or hydronic.

I think it's the British aspect. If you look at my first post you'll see I mention the remote sensor. This might be what you mean by not having a sensor in it at all. If it's remote then yes pipe it as close as you want.

Looking at this more this I think is just a radiator valve not a trv. The red haring for me again.

Hydronic, here.

Back