Removing Bonnet on Kohler Shower Trim

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspexian

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_5149.jpg
    IMG_5149.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 9
It’s suppose to unscrew counterclockwise.

Put on some good gripping rubber gloves or use a rubber jar opener.

Or use some channelocks to remove it, it will ruin it but that’s life in the big city.

Use plumbers grease when ambling the new one so this doesn’t happen in the future.

Thank you, I used a 10" Tongue&Groove Plier, and I can turn counter-clockwise no issue. The bonnet is turning counter clockwise no problem,
and keep on turning, but nothing come loose. Just wondering if I missed anything else beside turning counter clockwise.

Tks
J.

It’s threaded onto a plastic piece. That plastic piece must be stripped.

Try pulling toward yourself as you turn.

You may end up just breaking it off and replacing whatever needs replacing once it’s apart.

It’s threaded onto a plastic piece. That plastic piece must be stripped.

Try pulling toward yourself as you turn.

You may end up just breaking it off and replacing whatever needs replacing once it’s apart.
Thank you, will try tomorrow morning.

Turn it while prying from behind with a putty knife or similar.
Otherwise, break out the multitool and start cutting away the trim plate to see what is going on, without cutting into the valve body anywhere.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I went to HD and bought a faucet and sleeve puller. it is out :)

Look like I need a new trim kit and handle.

Will any trim kit on Amazon from Kohler will work?

I believe the Valve I have is GP77759

Also, what is the Diff between GP77759 (from Kohler website) and RGP77759 (HD)

Thank you so much.

J

Attachments

• IMG_5150.jpg
    IMG_5150.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5151.jpg
    IMG_5151.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 8
Someone else will need to help you on this. I refuse to try to keep up with all of Kohlers changes and they also use the same model numbers for redesigned parts and valves. They differentiate by date of manufacture.

Call Kohler or wait for someone here to answer that deals with a lot of kohler.

Or you could do the research yourself.

Thank you all, I replaced RGP77759 (HD) and a new cheap Kohler trim from Amazon (next day deliver free).
Thank you all for your help.

J

Latest posts

Back