Remove sediment from gas hot water heater tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uthorns1976

Reaction score
Our gas water heater is around 4.5 years old. I think it's a 40-gallon unit. When the water in the tank is being heated, there is a lot of rumbling and grumbling noise in the pipes leading from the hot water heater. The hot water heater is in a "closet" off the entry to our home and next to the den. I know that the rumbling and grumbling noise is from sediment in the tank. We have very hard water. Not long ago, a plumber was here to address a gas leak and he drained the hot water heater. I did not see any sediment come out when he drained the hot water heater and the noise level is the same as it was before he drained the hot water heater. At this point, what, if anything, can I do to actually remove some or all of the sediment from the tank? Thanks very much.

Did not sediment come out because the drain was clogged?

The vast majority of heaters have compression valves on the tank for drainage. These ... sometimes plastic ... valves will not pass any large sediment.
The first thing I did when I recently replaced my electric heater was replace the drain valve with a 3/4 ball valve made specifically to flush out the crap.
I assume the manufacturers use the crappy valves because they are cheaper and they do not want the heaters serviced ......... they want to sell you another every decade.
Gas heaters are much more difficult to flush than electric in that the electric can be vacuumed out using the lower element hole.
If your heater has been in service for a number of years and you have not replaced the anode rod ......... removing all the sediment may cause issues because the bottom of the tank may be corroded to the point you may create or allow leakage at the bottom. Your tank at 4 ½ years is probably OK ... but I would consider changing the anode rod ..... it's what keeps the tank from corroding from the inside out.
I have never had practical experience with a gas unit but that is what I have read.

Attachments

• Drain valve.jpg
    Drain valve.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2
Does the closet have louvered doors, or a large register grill, to admit combustion air to the heater?

I agree a better drain valve might pass more sediment and chunks of minerals.

Does the closet have louvered doors, or a large register grill, to admit combustion air to the heater?

I agree a better drain valve might pass more sediment and chunks of minerals.
The closet does have louvered doors but when our new HVAC was installed, the guys covered the inside of the louvered doors with "tin" as per local code. There are pipes that run from the closet into the attic, also per city code. Something to do with house not exploding from natural gas but our home is far from airtight.

If the furnace or water heater are starved for combustion air, they can create excess carbon monoxide.

The open louvers were there for a reason.

If the furnace or water heater are starved for combustion air, they can create excess carbon monoxide.

The open louvers were there for a reason.
My understanding is that is the reason the HVAC guys installed pipes into the attic. The louvered doors were not covered until the new HVAC was installed 3 years ago. The HVAC guy said city code requirement.

If by “pipes”, you mean intake air ducts from the attic to your closet, that would be fine.

The ducts would bring combustion air into the closet.

If by “pipes”, you mean intake air ducts from the attic to your closet, that would be fine.

The ducts would bring combustion air into the closet.
Yes, I use the term "pipes" but they are more like ducts. There are two of them.

Latest posts

Back