remote-read water meter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt3336

Reaction score
I have a rather complex plumbing issue and need some advice. In 1999 my house was build on some land next to a family member. No water line was ran to the new home, a tap was placed on the main line from the street to the other house (1 1/2" line). On the tap from the existing water line a water meter was installed but not by the city. When the builder called to have the city inspect the meter, the city refused to read the meter because of the distance from the street (+/- 500').

Now for the question, is there a wireless meter that can be read 500' away and what is the likelihood that the water department will accept this set up? I have a call in for a meeting with the city water department.

I really do not want to install a second water line are there any other options?

Thanks

Go to their website and see if the have their standard drawings online if they do look for the water service one and it should have all the info you need. I have never run a water meter anywhere past the property line, that is usually where it transfers from public to private. Can the service be shut down anywhere to be able to cut in a meter setup closer tot he road?

some cities do have wireless type setup , they can bounce a reading off the satellite. The setup would depend on your city.

yea there is another meter and shut off at the road. In total there are three meters. The one at the road which the city reads and bills to the owner of the first house. On the main line and after the tap he has a meter for his use. On the line going to my house is another meter. The whole idea was not well planed out but this is what I am working with.

If there is a wireless meter I will replace both of the meters closer to the homes for the city to read and bill.

you mentioned looking at a website which one?

It would be the city or districts website. Now I understand more. They do make wireless transponder meters and we use them out here but they are read by a guy in a van that drives down the road and it picks up the signal, I don't know how far they read. You will have to talk to the distric and see if they will even allow it that way. Why can't you move both those meeters to just after the main meter where it splits?

The split in the water line is about 400' from the road. The meters are in the area of the split. Thanks for the help I'll keep trying to reach someone at the city.

Also, it might be possible to run a wire from the meter to a wireles transponder location closer to the road. But I am thinking that the wireless meters can be read from that far or farther, we do apartments with wireless meters all of the time, and I doubt the utility bothers to drive down every little side street to get really close to all of these apartment units.

Latest posts

Back