Relocating Vent & Shower / Sewage Connection.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbee2828

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Glad I found this awesome forum. I'm at the start of a DIY bathroom remodel and have already hit 1 of several forth coming surprises. The first of which was a vent pipe for a shower in the wall between our closet and bathroom that we're relocating to make the bathroom slightly larger. Not knowing plumbing, I was unaware that this vent would be connected to what I have later learned to be a p trap which connects directly to the sewage line below our slab. This was all discovered after removing the concrete this weekend (which went very well considering our experience level). I'd like to get your opinion on something and at the least have some knowledge before I get a plumber out here.

What I wanted to do was simply extend where the vent came out of the slab by about 1.5 feet. I didn't know the vent and drain were connected (again limited knowledge). I've also learned you cannot run a vent horizontally until approximately 6" above the connection to the drain line (somewhat correct sounding?). So we're now faced with what I assume is going to ultimately going to become relocating the 4" wye. This is beyond what I'm comfortable with. However, I have a thought on a possibility for relocating this BUT I don't think it will work because from what I understand so far, the vent needs to be above the p trap. Below are some photos and crude drawings of a possible solution. It's basically making a U and venting the pipe at the new end and then tapping into the existing wye. I'd have to cut up more concrete but it's not too big of a deal aside from the cost of renting tools.

Is this even remotely possible? If not, is there something I could do to alter this and make it work?
Is there a more obviously solution that could be done to relocate the vent pipe and not relocate the wye?

ANY and all help is appreciated. If I don't need to relocate the wye I can continue the DIY route. If I need to move the wye, I'm calling in the pros :)

shower1.jpg

shower2.jpg

shower3.jpg

shower4.jpg

shower5.jpg

WOW you have been busy, good to see people taking the time to take photos etc.

Basically mate its this simple, it's your house and i doubt very much your going to have plumbing inspectors sniffing around too much. Why do you even need the vent? All this does it prevent full bore plugs of water dumping from sucking the trap out of the sink etc. have a look at these traps we use in the UK -where am from. I'm not sure if they exist in the USA but its a p-trap with an air admittance valve on:

McAlpine Traps - UK

Job done?

If you want to go overboard with this then by all means i pat you on the back, given my idea takes 10mins, $10 and will save you work its up to you.

Just make sure that this vent were taking about isnt for a toilet or other appliance as they will need there own vent ok, saying that have a snoop around on that website and see if they sell AAV's or air admittance valves.

Dont forget am from the UK so Please check your local laws

Last edited:
Back