Reconfiguring Bathroom Plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

costgeek

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm doing a bathroom reno and moving some plumbing fixtures around (see picture). The shower has been moved from the NW corner to the NE corner, and the toilet is being moved from the center of the N wall to the NW corner. The vanity and tub are staying where they are.

So far the shower has been moved and the 1-1/2" pipe that ran E to W has been replaced with 2" pipe. I temporarily capped the 3" pipe for the old toilet and put in the flexible coupling so I could keep the water on.

The simplest solution would be to cut out the trap, cap it, then tie the new toilet into the 3" pipe. Other than leaving in unneeded PVC, are there any issues with this?

I am more inclined to clean it up by replacing the 3" pipe with 2" pipe up to the new toilet intersection, and removing the old shower PVC completely leaving just the vent coming in from the top.

Any thoughts?

20160519_143912_001.jpg

you have a problem;

where the pipe for the terlet is capped, was that a 90 ?

and now, you want the terlet on the same wall, just moved a cou[le feet?

16'' is not enough room, need another picture of the joist space to the left of the future toilet,

you are going to have to rip out everything and redo all the drains

20160519_143912_001.jpg

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The new toilet will be on the west wall, 18" on center from the north wall. 12" from the west wall puts the drain hole right in the middle of the those joists. The old toilet was on the north wall, draining at a 90 degree angle to west.

I see on your drawing that you moved the intersection of the shower/tub/vanity waste downstream of the toilet. Can I not connect them upstream of the toilet?

the reason i need to know where the fixture sits.

is the same reason i moved the plumbing down stream of toilet in drawing.

it is because of height of the fitting used to drain the toilet.

if i use a 90,,it is the shortest fitting

if a combo is used it is 20'' tall.

i need to know the exact spot. using measurements, the toilet is going to be set. a big green square is no help:D

Plumbing 2.jpg

trying to help you,,,but your situation is very difficult to type

all your pvc is going to have to be removed and redone. a 90. is about 6'' tall

your toilet ways plumbed with a 90.

you have moved it AND want fixtures up stream., upstream uses a combo, it is 20'' tall.

see the problem ?

in ordr to not, use the combo, the plumbing main needs to be 2' away from the toilet.

for room for fitting to lay down.

and if you do not know the lingo of what i am saying i am talking to a wall..........

i gave you a number, use it. or good luck

I'm here Frodo. And I do appreciate the help. Here's a photo with the toilet drain location that I wanted. I've also laid out the solution I had in mind. This puts the toilet drain about 1.75" south of where I wanted it, but I can live with that.

I'll check on the 2' requirement...I'm good for 14" from what I can see.

Plumbing 3.jpg

No, you can't use sanitary tees on their side like that. Needs to be wyes and and 1/8 bends. The existing fittings are wyes and 1/8 bends, otherwise known as combinations. Your proposed fittings layed out to the side are not legal

Thanks Phishfood. I didn't understand the difference between sanitary and wye.

So assuming I use the correct tees, would a solution like this work? Is it okay for the toilet branch to be downstream of the rest of the fixtures?

Back