Recommend / Experience w/ Tank & Boosters-- 45 PSI at basement yet dismal flow rate all floors.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gggaaa

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm about to get (subject to correct sizing) some sort of tank and booster system like this (see examples);

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Amtrol-...-ork3S1hp7CWbeql3PfkRVQXWC_Qi-GxoCgLQQAvD_BwE
40-45 PSI but source is a split 3/4 pipe being shared with a four bed house.. when water used there it kills the apt... (obv running 40' horizontal + 2 stories means im getting the pressure at basement but not any consistent flow).

Advise, products, brands, considerations, recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

G

I'd agree but its all new 3/4" pex. I ran a direct new 3/4 all the way to the second floor shower as a sort of test. It reduces to 1/2 at the faucet but still.. like comes out like an small animal taking a leak =) whats weird is its 40-45 at the basement level.

I agree. Ideally line in should have been 1/2" but that is no longer viable. These pump systems retain and hold water, enough for a shower right? maybe i go with a taller one.

Thanks

The insert fittings make 3/4 PEX seem like 1/2" copper. 1/2" Pex insert fittings make it like 1/4" copper. 45 PSI is plenty if you had larger pipe. But since the pipe is already there, increasing the pressure to force more water through the small pipe is your best bet.

Those Amtrol booster systems will cycle on/off a lot. This is not good for the pump, tank, check valve, pressure switch, etc., and also delivers varying pressure to the house. I would use a PK1A constant pressure system with a good jet pump like a Goulds J10S. That way you have strong constant pressure to the house and the pump will not cycle itself to death. The PK1A also works with a much smaller 4.5 gallon size tank, which takes up much less space, and also cost less.

Back