Recirculation vs "classic" installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luderic

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a heat pump normally conceived to produce Domestic Hot Water, but I want to use it to feed a water underfloor heating system. The heat pump is equipped with the normal hot and cold in/outlets but also a recirculation outlet. I'm wondering which one I should use in the present case as I don't understand what the difference is between option A and B (see schematics). Anybody has an idea? Thank you.

Attachments

• Option A.JPG
    Option A.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Option B.JPG
    Option B.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 8
Use option B if your tank is equipped with a connection there.

Option A has been known to cause “ creep “ in a hot water system. Temp overshoot.

OK thank you very much. Yes it has both connections, so it's not a problem. I was just precisely wondering why there were these two possibilities (what physical differences there would be).

Home heating lines are normally required to be run through a double wall heat exchanger. This prevents stagnant water contamination during warm months and also reduces chance to harbor legionella bacteria.
That is why they make/sell both conventional water heaters and heat pump water heaters with "domestic heating" taps so-labeled.

Home heating lines are normally required to be run through a double wall heat exchanger. This prevents stagnant water contamination during warm months and also reduces chance to harbor legionella bacteria.
That is why they make/sell both conventional water heaters and heat pump water heaters with "domestic heating" taps so-labeled.

From what I’m reading this system is not connected to his domestic hot water. He’s going to use the domestic hot water outlets for heating from his heat pump. So it’s all for heat.

Yes you are right. For hot water I have another circuit, totally different that uses solar energy.

Back