Recirc question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertwater

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Ok during my early years of plumbing I was always told to put the recirc pump at the bottom of the water heater were the drain is. I never got a real answer why I was doing this accept for it was the best way. Now thinking about it it really shouldnt matter at all if the pump is on the top or the bottom of the heater because of the cold inlet dip tube which no matter what the recirc water is gonna end up at the bottom of the heater....right?

And I do understand that recirc water and cold may mix more if its plumbed on top. But if I was replacing a water heater I would want to see the recirc on top.

The one time I pulled a dip tube, I remember seeing some small holes at the top. So if my memory is correct, I would think that a low volume flow such as a transfer pump would run the risk of circulating through those holes.

Someone with more expertise on this is welcome to correct me.

phishfood said:
BTW, nice looking truck.

Thanks, that was a mistake when I was 20. Never again will I do such a thing, its finally paid for 6 years later. I never want truck payments ever again.

Been there, done that, Ford Motor Credit took the shirt off of my back.

Finally, at 40, debt free, loving it, and I am amazed that so much of the world operates on credit and debt. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Word of advise? Take half of that payment, and bank it. You will be rich by the time you are 50.

phishfood said:
Been there, done that, Ford Motor Credit took the shirt off of my back.

Finally, at 40, debt free, loving it, and I am amazed that so much of the world operates on credit and debt. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Word of advise? Take half of that payment, and bank it. You will be rich by the time you are 50.

Debt free is amazing, good for you! I will look into that advise.

I like the bottom better (usually one check and pump) ,Top ( two checks,pump,expansion tank). Of course shutoffs inlet/outlet.

the idea is that the recirc tempers the cold water before it goes into the hwt. the hole in the dip tube is an anti syphon hole, in the event that there was a line break upstream of the tank it would not syphon the tank and destroy the hwt when it fired with no water in the vessel.

LiQuId said:
the idea is that the recirc tempers the cold water before it goes into the hwt. the hole in the dip tube is an anti syphon hole, in the event that there was a line break upstream of the tank it would not syphon the tank and destroy the hwt when it fired with no water in the vessel.

Very interesting! Thanks

Latest posts

Back