rear exhaust toilet - changing wax

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravine

Reaction score
Hi - other than it is horizontal and not vertical, is there anything different in changing the wax for a rear exhaust toilet?

Wow. There's a quick education. Do you know of any good how to sites for this one? Thanks for the reply

Rear discharge toilet, use a foam ring a Wax will wear out fast.

Rear discharge toilet, use a foam ring a Wax will wear out fast.

Sorry Liquid I don't agree. As long as the flange is set properly and secured in place the toilet won't move, being supported by the floor. Movement of any toilet will cause a wax seal to fail. If the toilet was wall hung then there would be some movement because the toilet is actually supporting the weight of the user. In that case a foam gasket is required.

John

I see what you are saying, and as you know I respect your opinion but my experiences with this are that its not the toilets movement that causes the seal to fail but rather the flow of the discharge. I have encountered this on a few occasions where the gnereal handyman on a commercial job has replaced a foam ring with a wax one ( for reasons never quite clear ) and have found that the lower side of the wax has worn away when I removed the toilet. the upper half was unnafected. after only a month and a half one toilet was leaking badly andother only slightly, and upon removal of the third it was close to becomeing a leak.... these WERE all wall mount toilets mind you.

these are my experiences and the reason I would only install foam on a reaar discharge, but you have had other experiences, and likely more experience So I'll not doubt your knowledge on this.

I would be curious if the OP does go the Wax route to hear a progress report a few months later.

:)

Back