Rate this Washer/Dryer Install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birkoff

Reaction score
Hello again. Update, installed the new shower head with no leaks. Thanks for the help.

I purchased a new house in the Las Vegas area. Had a washer and dryer installed by a large retail chain that includes an install, you have to purchase a "install kit" and it adds about $100 to the set.

Attached is the picture of the install. The builder has a recessed area for the dryer. As it now sets, the dryer and washer are about 5 inches out from the wall.

So YOU rate the install. I've got a call into their customer support.

Dryer Photo.JPG

The gas line had a straight connector and unless he installed a 90 degree fitting, that was the best he could do. Not withstanding the gas line, he was still limited from pushing back farther because he would have crimped the dryer vent ducting, which could result in a fire. Lastly, I'd be interested to see behind the washer. Many installers will keep both the dryer and washer away from the wall, in an equal distance, to accommodate the water, gas, and exhaust lines behind them.

Here is an install from a model home in the same subdivision.

Is the dryer hose a safety issue? Should a 90 degree connector be used?

Other Install.JPG

Last edited:
Is that dryer piped or just sitting there pretty. The trouble is trying to reach back there to make the connections when everything is tight to the wall. Do you see a way the connections could be made and have it tight to the wall

Ideally, the dryer should have rigid ducting instead of that flexible stuff. The flex stuff catches lint and can be torn rather easily. They do sell the rigid ducting that could work instead.

But at least some space behind the dryer to access things is a good idea. If you ever need to shut off the gas or disconnect things, it's good to be able to reach.

I agree with CT 18. That model home doesn't have the dryer vent or gas line connected. As Zanne said, there are a few rigid square space-saver type ducting available, and with a 90 degree nipple on the gas line, you would probably gain 2-3", but that is it.

Thank you for your replies. I think the installation could be improved, but if its gud enuff, I get it. RC Wiley didn't respond to my concerns either.

Latest posts

Back