RANK ODOR in WASHING MACHINE

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_60

Reaction score
Question?...everytime my wife washes clothes a RANK ODOR is emmited into the utility room...after the clothes are dry they still smell of that odor...it doesnt happen evey time clothes are washed but it is bad when it happens...the washing machine is 2 years old...but the old washer did the same...could it be the pipes or the drain...we are up to code with the plumbing... with traps in place...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could it be the water. Are you on a well or public water? Check the hot water from the faucets and see if the water smells, too.

If you have a front loader, you need to leave the door open when not in use to vent. These washers always have a little bit of water sitting in them and need to air out.

do you have a floor drain in the laundry room? if so the trap may be dry, check to see if it is holding water and refill w water or better yet add some vegetable oil to prevent evaporation.

Are you on well water? Sometimes well water will react with the cathodic protection rod in your hot water tank and cause bacteria to grow which will produce a sulpher gas smell, i e rotten eggs.
I have seen cathodic protection rods that were made for well water but:mad: not recently. Mine was bad enough I took the drastic action of removing the CP rod, of course at the risk of shortening the tank life.

Don't you just love the 1 hit and run posters.
This thread's OP hit and ran almost a month ago.

If you have a front loader, you need to leave the door open when not in use to vent. These washers always have a little bit of water sitting in them and need to air out.

Will water remain under the drum of a top-loader?

well since its not me bumpin this thread from the grave in the first place, i gotta add my two cents... but it sounded like to me that the laundry room was the only safe house for his wife unleash her flatulence... clearly the op figured this out

Last edited:
well since its not me bumpin this thread from the grave in the first place, i gotta add my two cents... but it sounded like to me that the laundry room was the only safe house for his wife unleash her flatulence... clearly the op figured this out

Thanks for a great LOL!

Back