Random questions........

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy

Reaction score
Is it safe to flush facial tissues and those 'wet wipes' down the toilet? Or should we be only be flushing toilet paper. Also, I have a garbage disposal. Does that eventually clog the sewer pipe leading from my house to the street.

About every 6 years or so the drain in my basement floor backs up and I have to hire someone to come ream out the sewer from the basement floor to the street. He always finds some 'tight spots' at certain points. I also have a very large maple tree in my front yard. Of course, the guy who unclogs my drain can't tell me if it's tree roots or what it is. Could I reduce the need to clean out that sewer line by not using the garbage disposal so much or be more careful of what I flush down the toilet?

be careful what you are putting down both but the toilet more. Baby wipes or wipes get snagged on line and just start backing up. you should have the line camera to see what is exactly going on you could have roots,sag in line or broken line your plumber should be suggesting this offer if it is happening every 6 months. also ask if he is pulling anything back out of line after he snakes it

be careful what you are putting down both but the toilet more. Baby wipes or wipes get snagged on line and just start backing up. you should have the line camera to see what is exactly going on you could have roots,sag in line or broken line your plumber should be suggesting this offer if it is happening every 6 months. also ask if he is pulling anything back out of line after he snakes it

I watched him snake it. He had no camera. It is happening every 6 years or so, not every 6 months.

Thank you for your reply.

Facial tissues are meant to hold together when wet, whereas toilet paper is designed to break up when it gets wet. Same with the wet wipes, they don't break up very well. Even some of the "more luxurious" brands of toilet paper can be slow to break apart, potentially causing issues.

Tight spots in the pipe could be caused by joints offseting, crushed sections of pipe, tree roots, etc. An inspection with a sewer camera should help diagnose what the problem is.

Facial tissues are meant to hold together when wet, whereas toilet paper is designed to break up when it gets wet. Same with the wet wipes, they don't break up very well. Even some of the "more luxurious" brands of toilet paper can be slow to break apart, potentially causing issues.

Tight spots in the pipe could be caused by joints offseting, crushed sections of pipe, tree roots, etc. An inspection with a sewer camera should help diagnose what the problem is.

Thank you. I just had it done a last summer so I should be okay for a while. I will no longer flush anything but toilet paper. And I use the spartan sort of toilet paper. :eek:

Is it safe to flush facial tissues and those 'wet wipes' down the toilet?

When I see WIPES next to a toilet in a customer's home I ask if I can do a show & tell. I fill the lav sink with water Then take a piece of toilet paper and swirl it around --toilet paper breaks up. Next take a wipe and swirl it around -- it never breaks up, Then I ask which one will you let go down the lav drain, of course the answer is always TP. That usually gets the piont across.

When I see WIPES next to a toilet in a customer's home I ask if I can do a show & tell. I fill the lav sink with water Then take a piece of toilet paper and swirl it around --toilet paper breaks up. Next take a wipe and swirl it around -- it never breaks up, Then I ask which one will you let go down the lav drain, of course the answer is always TP. That usually gets the piont across.

Gotcha. :)

Back