Questions Re: piping for small community system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borrego

Reaction score
Hello all - New member here. Didn't know where to post it, so if this is posted in the wrong forum, please move it.
A bit of background: I was just elected to a small community water board (less that 100 services). This is in the remote SW desert. The system is on a well (2 actually) with a storage tank (and backup) that feed the community on static pressure. Since I have some background in construction and plumbing, (current General Contractor, previous Plumbing license and Swimming Pool License), I am finding myself in charge of operations and equipment/materials. I have some knowledge, but fall short in the specifics of this type of system (used to working on home and swimming pool systems)...

So here are a few specific question, I appreciate any help I can get, or point me in the right direction...
1) Type of pipe? The system was built in the 1960's and has been only repaired, usually by community members who have no plumbing experience. It is time to start replacing the main line pipe....I am leaning towards SCH 80 CPVC. It is mostly 3". Thoughts?

2) Service entrances? They are mostly old Poly pipe and I have never been a fan, plus there are failures, mostly due to ground movement or the compression couplings failing.. I would prefer to T off the 3" main to 1" to the meter...Thoughts?

3) The connection between the Poly and main line is done with a saddle clamp and those are not great IMO.....Back to my wish to hard plumb from the main to the meter box.

4) To fill the water tanks, the water is pumped actually inside the same pipes that feed the water to everyone...seems odd to me? Better to run a separate fill line or just leave it as is since it works.

Well I guess that's enough questions for now.....again thanks for any help.....

I like the C900 with the MJ fittings as well, but will be more expensive. Sch 80 will have the same solvent weld couplings as sch 40. Since any chain is only as strong as its weakest link, sch 40 would be fine. Usually the engineers who sign off on this stuff know less than the people installing it.

And yes it is common practice to pump into the distribution line, and only the excess go towards the tanks.

Latest posts

Back