Questions on septic systems, Newb here.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrat

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im new to the septic world and still learning as I go.
I bought this old earth style Berm house 2 years ago, built in 1986 by the original previous owner who built it passed away so there was no paperwork or anything about the house and its system. I found the well and septic by accident luckily but no clue where the drain field is, only an idea as I cleared a lot of the land which was over grown, cut down trees and brush which was overgrown for years. Let the stepkids stay until they got on their feet and thats when the trouble started... very wasteful and disrespectful kids.
Long story short, smells outside, slow drainsge...ect....
So, they arent here anymore and wont be ever again. I had the tank pumped, added a couple gallons green gobbler to septic tank, added Roebix drainfield cleaner...ect.... started draining a little better but still fills up after showers which it never did before. So I just add some every month hoping to clear up the drainfield as the stepkids wasted water, tons of laundry and dish detergent .... so Im hoping it clears up as I think some debris washed into the field from so much water and detergent being used, I doubt its biomat. The smell has since gone but took a couple months to fade outside.

What I am seeing lately is all these groundhogs or rabbits tunneling over what appears to be the drainfield. Water has never come to the surface as I check the vent pipe frequenly and is appoximately 3 to 4 feet below the surface. But these tunnels on the surface are very muddy and the mud does not smell of sewage , the ground is solid but the dirt mounds of these tunnels are wet, very odd. What are your input of this situation? I am hoping the drainfield is fine but the past 2 ueats before the kids stayed there was only a stream of water in the drain pipes where now it fills but drains slowly. Hoping additives will eventually fix it ( I added copper sulfer today to kill any roots if there is any )
My next opting is to get on the county program to replace the septic system free, maybe get a larger system as well?

Back