Question water heater and well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techiegirl

Reaction score
I have a 50 gallon electric water heater. I want to drain it. However, it appears that there is no water turn off valve to the water heater. If I shut the breaker to the WH off and turn off the well breaker, will that stop water from filling up in the WH so I can drain it?

I have a 50 gallon electric water heater. I want to drain it. However, it appears that there is no water turn off valve to the water heater. If I shut the breaker to the WH off and turn off the well breaker, will that stop water from filling up in the WH so I can drain it?
Yes !

I don't know what you mean. Just turn on the faucet? Pressure tank outside in the well house?

I see, thank you! The only thing have to figure out now is how to shut the water heater off permanent to the water heater and still have water to the house. I think there is a shut off valve BEHIND the heater, not sure how to get behind it to access it... I just got he property and am not there all the time. These non profit electric companies are very expensive.

I see, thank you! The only thing have to figure out now is how to shut the water heater off permanent to the water heater and still have water to the house. I think there is a shut off valve BEHIND the heater, not sure how to get behind it to access it... I just got he property and am not there all the time. These non profit electric companies are very expensive.
"Non-profit electric company" Lol! My rates almost doubled when all those extra options were offered. Looks like we are just paying a bunch of middle men companies to handle the billing for the real electric company. People don't realize, "I am with the government and am here to help you", is really an Oxymoron.

Most water heaters will have a cut off valve on the inlet side, but not always.

"Non-profit electric company" Lol! My rates almost doubled when all those extra options were offered. Looks like we are just paying a bunch of middle men companies to handle the billing for the real electric company. People don't realize, "I am with the government and am here to help you", is really an Oxymoron.

Most water heaters will have a cut off valve on the inlet side, but not always.
Yes I went to guidestar.org and signed up free and looked at the IRS 990 wow the money they have and salaries they pay are insane. $30 just to have the lights on...makes me appreciate PNM. There is no shurt off valve on this one like on my other gas one. I'm a pretty good do it yourselfer. I can do gas water heater as there is a water shut off on top and I can just go outside and turn off the water from the street. And also know about the pressure relief switch to open first to let the water out, which the gas has, not sure about this electric one.

Just to mention why I prefer electic over gas heaters ......... much easier to do maintenance.
You can change out the elements and use the lower element hole to wet vac out the tank plus inspect the anode rod through the same hole.

Just to mention why I prefer electic over gas heaters ......... much easier to do maintenance.
You can change out the elements and use the lower element hole to wet vac out the tank plus inspect the anode rod through the same hole.
ohhh... but more expensive than gas?

From looking at a couple sellers ......... the Electric appears to be cheaper to buy. Long term operation costs ...... I do not know.

From looking at a couple sellers ......... the Electric appears to be cheaper to buy. Long term operation costs ...... I do not know.
Yeah, probably the unit is cheaper? I guess it would also depend on who your provider for electricity is... Co-ops are expensive.

I personally wouldn't open up the relief valve. Just open your hot faucets in the house and that will help it drain for you. Sometimes
those relief valves won't shut off tight when closed back up.

I personally wouldn't open up the relief valve. Just open your hot faucets in the house and that will help it drain for you. Sometimes
those relief valves won't shut off tight when closed back up.
I understand....I had one that the relief valve was wacky and had to be put at a certain angle to let the water flow...just flipping it up didn't do it...but thanks for the heads up!

If the relief valve doesn’t work properly just replace it. It’s a safety valve and should be tested and fully operational at all times.

Back