Question on the 3 different pvc dwv elbows at home depot.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDS

Reaction score
I have 3 different PVC DWV elbows. I know one is for venting because it's a very short sweep and it says vent elbow on it.

Of the other two, one is just labeled 90 degree elbow and the other is labeled long turn 90 degree elbow. In what instances do I use either or?

I'm thinking the left one obviously is for venting, the middle one for horizontal turns and the long turn one for going horizontal to verticle and verticle to horizontal?20220318_221315.jpg

I wouldn’t use the first one for anything.

The second one I use for venting and turning out of a wall for a lavatory drain.

The third 90 is what I typically use for things other than listed above. Changes in direction both horizontal position and vertical position.

I wouldn’t use the first one for anything.

The second one I use for venting and turning out of a wall for a lavatory drain.

The third 90 is what I typically use for things other than listed above. Changes in direction both horizontal position and vertical position.

Ok that simplifies things so I don't have to worry about using different ones at different times for the most part.

Just curious, why not just use the 3rd(long turn) for turnouts as well?

Ok that simplifies things so I don't have to worry about using different ones at different times for the most part.

Just curious, why not just use the 3rd(long turn) for turnouts as well?

Some lavatories have the drain toward the back of the lavatory rather than in the center.

When they’re toward the back you can run out of room to install the trap because the long 90 comes out of the wall too far.

Some lavatories have the drain toward the back of the lavatory rather than in the center.

When they’re toward the back you can run out of room to install the trap because the long 90 comes out of the wall too far.

Oh thank you for that. Good to know.

Back