Question about wet venting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofy78270

Reaction score
I am completely remodeling my master bath and was wondering about the wet venting.

Previously, the wet vent for the shower and toilet ran behind the shower fixtures. After tearing down the walls, I found that the space behind the shower was just dead space.

Now, I would like to move my wet vent from its current location to run in a wall rather than in this dead space. My question is once I run the wet vent in the wall, can I angle over to the current vent stack or do I need to create a new one so there is no angle in the vent?

|----| this space housed the wet vent and shower fixtures
|-O--| now I would like to move it to the wall above
|----| and gain back this 3 feet of dead space
|___|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sorry for the crude picture and I hope this explains what I am looking to do. If not, let me know and I will try and explain better or find a way to upload a photo or two.

am not exactlly sure. what fixtures tie into the wet vent ? i assume the lav.

you Can reroute the vent into the wall, but if it is a true wet vent then you cannot run it in an external wall... of course this would depend on local codes, do you experience freezing temperatures where you live ?

The answer to this depends on what you call a wet vent. As LiQuid asked is there a fixture connecting to this vent above the floor? If not then you can not run a vent horizontally below the flood rim of the fixture it's venting.

John

I would be looking to tie the tub, toilet, and sink into the wet vent.

The wet vent is the horizontal pipe coming out of the drain lines, running from the floor into the ceiling.

As for the freezing temps, yes, I live in CO so the temperature drops quite often.

Right now, all the plumbing runs from the sink and shower, with 2 or 2 1/2 in pipe into Y's and then into the 4 in drain stack of the toilet. After the shower and sink Y together, but before they meet the drain stack of the toilet, a pipe is Y'ed off into the wet vent that goes up.

If the vent pipe does not have a fixture above draining into it, then it isn't a wet vent, it is a dry vent. If the pipe that is common to the sink and the shower runs underneath the wall that you propose to put it in, you can use an upright combination wye and 1/8th bend to turn up in it with the vent. The point that John is trying to make is that a dry vent cannot be run horizontal in the floor underneath the fixtures that it is venting.

Post up a couple pictures of your bathroom including the overall layout and any existing piping if possible and then we would be able to give you more perspective on how to pipe your system properly. When wet venting you need to take everything into consideration...it may not be as simple as moving one vent as that could affect the operation of the rest of your bathroom.

I would be looking to tie the tub, toilet, and sink into the wet vent.

The wet vent is the horizontal pipe coming out of the drain lines, running from the floor into the ceiling.

As for the freezing temps, yes, I live in CO so the temperature drops quite often.

Right now, all the plumbing runs from the sink and shower, with 2 or 2 1/2 in pipe into Y's and then into the 4 in drain stack of the toilet. After the shower and sink Y together, but before they meet the drain stack of the toilet, a pipe is Y'ed off into the wet vent that goes up.

pics would sure help, but IF it is in fact a wet vent then you cannot run the wet section of it in a exterior wall as it will freeze and choke off the system.

As I said in my last post a vent can not be run horizontal unless it is 6" above the flood rim of the fixture. In your case it would be the sink.

John

I am sure you are correct in this, though it is a code variation here in canada.

Here, we can run a horizontal vent below flood rim but it must be connected with drainage fittings ( wyes and 45's, no 90 no T's ) and the vent must connect above the horizontal centerline of the drainage piping It must also have Cleanout access in the case of a backup or blockageand must be a minimum of 2"

I guess I was confused, and maybe misleading.

I was thinking of the wet vent as the pipe that is vented from my drain line and out the roof, but that appears to be a dry vent.

Given that, do I need to redo the piping in my attic, if I move the dry vent into the wall, or can I simple angle the new vertical pipe into the existing vent in the roof, once I get into the attic?

I see talk of the precaution to running a vent in an outside wall. Can this vertical vent be in an outside wall? Actually in a insulated wall that runs between the room and the attic of the garage?

any dry vent can be run in an outside wall, a wet vent would have liquids flowing in it and so this is prohibited due to freezing

Back