Question about plumbing supplies needed for art project

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendan Lyons

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a sculptor who is trying to identify plumbing supplies in order to build an armature support system for a sculpting project that I'm trying to do.

I've attached a photo which shows a clay figure sculpture that is being supported by an armature support system made out of a flange, two threaded pipes(one is of a smaller diameter than the other) and an elbow fitting. However with the smaller sized pipe which is going horizontally into the sculpture there seems to be an adapter or something resting between the elbow fitting and the pipe. I'm assuming that this adapter allows a pipe of a smaller diameter to be connected to an elbow fitting which has a larger diameter.

I'm just wondering does anyone know what this adapter thing is? Any helpful information that you could kindly provide would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Brendan

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 34
Well without a better (close-up) picture it appears to be 2 bushings, decreasing the size from the elbow twice. If that is true a single reduction in size could be done as well.
It should be noted that that piping is either galvanized steel or painted black steel piping and is already showing signs of rust. For a project like that, I would look into a different material, such as aluminum or stainless steel. It would look so much better than a rusty pipe.:)

Oops, almost forgot, this is what a pipe bushing looks like...

Rather than 2 bushings reducing in size it could potentially be an adapter that goes from threaded to something like a compression connection. But Like I said need a closer look at it. Actually there's no real reason to duplicate it exactly unless it was a connection that allowed you to disconnect it easily.

Attachments

• 7814182-11.jpg
    7814182-11.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I am not a plumber, but assuming the larger pipe is 3/4" and the small pipe is 1/2", I would call that a "3/4 male x 1/2" female reducer".
Hi there,

I'm a sculptor who is trying to identify plumbing supplies in order to build an armature support system for a sculpting project that I'm trying to do.

I've attached a photo which shows a clay figure sculpture that is being supported by an armature support system made out of a flange, two threaded pipes(one is of a smaller diameter than the other) and an elbow fitting. However with the smaller sized pipe which is going horizontally into the sculpture there seems to be an adapter or something resting between the elbow fitting and the pipe. I'm assuming that this adapter allows a pipe of a smaller diameter to be connected to an elbow fitting which has a larger diameter.

I'm just wondering does anyone know what this adapter thing is? Any helpful information that you could kindly provide would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Brendan

Close Up Of Bushing Reducer.png Thanks so much to both of you for helping me out with identifying what it was! I have no idea about pipe fittings etc. I've tried to magnify the image so that you can get a better look at the bushings but unfortunately I can't find any other photos that could give you a better look at them.

From looking at the images that you've kindly provided I feel that it's quite possible that the second image that you've included resembles the fitting in the original photo of the sculpture . I'm trying to understand why the sculptor would use a combination of two bushings instead of just using a single "3/4" male x 1/2" female reducer". Is there some advantage to using two bushings in this situation? Would two bushings provide more stability for the smaller horizontal pipe? Perhaps the smaller pipe would wobble without the two bushings?

Jeff, you seem to think that the smaller pipe is 1/2 inch in diameter....is it possible that the pipe could be of an even smaller diameter or do those kinds of pipes not go any smaller than 1/2 inch? I don't know anything about pipe diameters so I wouldn't know about the sizings from looking at a photo.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Last edited:
I assume, the pipe holding up the statue is not 1/2''

IF, the elbow is 3/4'' then the first bushing is 3/4 x 1/2
the second bushing is 1/2 x 3/8 or 1/4''

that said
if the elbow is 1'', then the 1st bushing is 1 x 3/4
the second bushing would be 3/4 x 1/2 with 1/2'' going into the statue

the reason, 2 bushings were used is most likely the correct bushing was not available
so the artist simply adapted and overcame

look on the floor flange, some, of them have the pipe size stamped on the flange
with that info, the sizes can be deduced from there

typical/available pipe size would be 1/4''---1/2''----3/4''---1'' at a hard ware store

Last edited:
View attachment 18621 I would think, their is support piping inside
Totally agree with frodo regarding the piping.
I also thought about asking about the possible use or need of internal supports.:D
That smaller rod could also be a solid rod as opposed to a pipe.
As far as estimating the pipe sizes, assuming it's standard steel pipe.pipe sizes.jpg

EDIT: Just realized, you may not have access to this sculpture, to be able to measure it.
Another thought...I suspect if you are going to leave any metal materials within the sculpture, they would want to be stainless steel.

Last edited:
Brenden - listen to the other guys on this thread, they are the experts, I am not.

It would be easier to simply use this as the elbow, rather than that extra piece.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LDR-Ind...PT-x-FPT-Reducing-Elbow-310-RE-3412/100563923

Edit: OK I see now in the closeup that there are 2 reductions in size. If the smaller pipe is 3/8", then you would want this instead.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...YGzRQcvMbV3nArz_oB_0ZkgtCmk114tQaAu19EALw_wcB

But maybe the easiest thing to do is just go down to Lowes or Home Depot and start finding pieces that fit together. Since you are not actually plumbing water or adhering to code, any pieces that fit together in the configuration you want will work for you. They should also custom cut lengths of pipe for you if the standard pipe lengths don't work well (they have a machine that puts the threads on any length of pipe you want.)

Also, could we see another closeup of the front of the sculpture, lol just kidding

Last edited:
Back